Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Phil B

Getting my household goods to NZ

Hi all,

I would like some advice about shipping my household possessions to NZ.
      I don't have a lot of furniture (and I know to leave the TVs behind because they won't work in NZ) but do have quite a few books (don't ask - it's a long story).

I would reckon that it would comfortably fit into an ordinary removal lorry so a 20 foot container should do it, including my motorbike which I am inordinately fond of. OK - questions :

1) What is the approximate cost of a container shipped door to door?
      2) Who did you use to do the shipping - good/bad, recommended or what?
      3) Any problems getting the stuff through customs and any charges incurred?

I know not to bring gardening equipment and tents etc. so they won't be packed but are there any other problem items that I should declare or take special precautions with?

All advice gratefully received

p

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
      Hi all,

I would like some advice about shipping my household possessions to NZ.
      I don't have a lot of furniture (and I know to leave the TVs behind because they won't work in NZ) but do have quite a few books (don't ask - it's a long story).

I would reckon that it would comfortably fit into an ordinary removal lorry so a 20 foot container should do it, including my motorbike which I am inordinately fond of. OK - questions :

1) What is the approximate cost of a container shipped door to door?
      2) Who did you use to do the shipping - good/bad, recommended or what?
      3) Any problems getting the stuff through customs and any charges incurred?

I know not to bring gardening equipment and tents etc. so they won't be packed but are there any other problem items that I should declare or take special precautions with?

All advice gratefully received

p
      Hi Phil
      We used Pickfords to move our kit to Canada. They pack and unpack for you deal with customs and the service was perfect. Cost was around 1,500 pounds. What a day that was seeing the kids unpack their toys from back home.
      As for gardening equip we took everything inc lawn mower, strimmer and English spade
      Regards Andy + team
      Last edited by Andy; 08-08-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: missed a bit

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      rebdri is on a distinguished road
      We are getting a quote from Excess international Movers next Wednesday. We are going to Napier - will let you know what they say. We are going to get 3 quotes to compare the deals they have got on.

Our friends used them 2 years ago - they said they were brilliant. They did have some xmas decorations destroyed because they had pine cones on them :) ha ha
      Last edited by rebdri; 08-08-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Phil B
      Hi Rebdri,

I'd appreciate your comments and advice on the "flit" (as we say here - "move" for the rest of the country) and costs, experiences etc. Keep me posted please!

The house is on the market (I know! I was supposed to put it on the market April 2007 but the outside needed painted and could I get anyone to come out to even quote ...then it started to rain >};( . It finally got painted in October 2007 and went on the market the week before Northern Crock went belly up. Double >}:( .....)

If it isn't sold by Christmas, I'm signing over power of Attorney to my sister to sell it whenever it sells. I will then simply go in January come Hell, high interest rates or whatever and take my chances in NZ.

I'll probably end up in Christchurch as there seems to be quite a bit of the industry around there but my favourite place in NZ was Nelson. Surrounded on 3 sides by mountains, North facing (and hence the sunny side) with its own micro climate. And some of the best sea kayaking and sailing grounds i#on the doorstep.... Hmmmm gimme some of that please! But it will depend if I can get a job or not in the area. We'll see what we'll see I suppose.

Napier is a nice place with a beautiful Art Deco architecture - not sure if I could get a job there but definitely a good place to live.

I'll ritualistically burn the pine cones, pot pourri and other assorted garbage and dance around the flames on twelfth night - the neighbours think I'm odd at the moment. This will make them think I've been at the sherry a bit too much! >};)

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Phil,
      Our house is sold (subject to contract) so fingers crossed at the minute !!
      My husband got a job offer in Hastings - so we are really lucky. Dont know what I am going to do - I am a merchandiser over here. All my sort of jobs are in Auckland - so feel a bit apprehensive about that :(
      Hope your house sells soon - its a nightmare at the minute.
      We never got to the South Island - but definetly intend on touring the whole country once we are settled.
      Will come back to you on quote tomorrow :) I will be drinking too much once the exchange has been signed ha ha ha
      Last edited by rebdri; 12-08-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Just had 1st quote - 2400 for shared container, including them packing it for us. We are going to speak to DHL tomorrow.

Chellem - did your 2k using Pickfords include them packing everything for you and insurance??

Phil B
      Hi Rebdri,

Did you get the quote from DHL?? If so, how much was it and what did it include? If insurance, was it for a "standard" 3 bedroom house or on an agreed value?

One of the pieces of advice I have had from 2 separate sets of friends was to take out mildew insurance ... scary as I am a bookaholic. There are three (count 'em) second hand bookshops within walking distance of my home and it is like leaving a rabbit in charge of a field of lettuce. I have a LOT of books so the thought of mildew makes my hair stand on end.

One of my neighbours is a retired removal man and he has hinted that getting a container myself works out cheaper and I can pack it directly without my stuff being put into storage so that looks like a good option. I'll chat to him and let you know what he says regarding the practicalities, costs etc.

Anyone shipped a vehicle? Did they insist on draining the fuel tank etc. or any other requirements?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Phil,

Still waiting for DHL - Burke Bros have quoted us 2400 slightly cheaper. We will have to decide next week so I will let you know. Insurance is 3% extra for both.
      We havent got to many books - as we tend to read them then pass them on. It is definetly cheaper to DIY - but I say let the experts do it for us. Because less chance of breakages and customs inspections. Let me know what he says though :)
      Becky

sparky
      Hi Phil
      have you got your visa yet, as i have been informed by the visa bureau who are sorting out our visas have said don’t book a container until you have your visas and also have had this advice from 3 shipping company’s that have given us quotes.
      PSS removals 3.4k, European 3k 38 days and F&N 2.5K
      SPARKY

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      zoe wilson is on a distinguished road
      Would appreciate any feedback on shipping stuff out to Oz, Sydney we were told 4 grand for a 20 ft and 6 grand for a 40 foot. from excess international movers, couldnt give us an exact quote, was being dissuaded from doing our own packing, My husband is convinced we could fill a normal removal van, but the guy said we would need a forty foot, have a 2 bed house and were not taking the washer ,dryer,fridge,dishwasher,microwave or hoover.Think thats very expensive and we really want to know how much it would be to buy brand new when there and just send sentimental stuff ie books and kids toys/clothes. Very difficult to know what to do for the best. Also warned that if we pack our own stuff more likely to be pulled apart by customs who charge extortionate fees for the priviledge. Hard to know if this is advice given cause its in there interests to hike up the price. Would be really grateful for recommendations and also the other points ive raised thanks ever so much for any help in this matter. Zoe
      :goofy:

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast