• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Regrets?

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Ali View Post
      Have you been back at all in that time Pudley? It's sad that you don't feel that this is your home after so many years. Do you think you'll feel at home if you return to the UK. I ask, because I moved from Oldham to Preston (not quite the same distance wise...) and felt after a few years that I didn't feel like either was my home. I had my history in Oldham and a new life in Preston but felt almost stuck in between. Yet I've moved to WA and feel as if I've found my home again ...

I probably haven't explained it very well, but hope you understand what I mean.

Ali
      Hi Ali

Notice you mention Oldham - I lived at Hollinwood for 3 years while at the British Gas college back in early 80s and had many a good night out in Oldham. Its all changed now I suspect.

My only regret is we've not been to Oz or NZ yet but will get round to it.

Andy + team
      Last edited by Andy; 17-08-2008 at 06:46 PM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Ali

Title
      Liked
      43 times
      Rep
      Ali is on a distinguished road
      Oh Andy Oldham has changed beyond belief. If you were "going round town" in the 80's we may have gone to the same watering holes. I remember Butterflies used to have an emergency services night on Thursdays when you could get cheap beer, also used to go to Dreamers (regualr hang out for nurses ... but bit of a dive lol).

Good luck with the process
      Ali
      The only people you need in your life are the ones that prove they need you in theirs

Em and Andy

Dont miss England - it's changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pudley View Post
      I cam when I was 17 and so had to come with my parents. Hvae kids now who have an Australian father and now divorced I cant take kids back to UK until they are older. I somply love the UK I think about it every day I dont not like Aus I just dont consider it home and I have been here 19 years so that is pretty sad !!! Will get back home to Yorkshire as soon as I can.
      CHRISTMAS/SEASONS/PUB/FISH AND CHIPS/CULTURE/HISTORY/SENSE OF BELONGING/COMMUNITY/DISTANCE/SUMMER HOLIDAYS/SNOW ETC ETC...
      Hi Pudley!

Perhaps this will make you feel alittle better. I have always been interested in coming back to Oz, as I was born there and moved to UK when I was a child. All the things that you list above have always kept me here, but its all changed and I'm coming to Oz!!
      All the pubs have closed - I mean ALL of them (well practically)! Gang culture has taken over, not adult gangs, kids with knives. Its a real problem. There are no seasons, last 2 summers have been like autumn and it hardly ever frosts now, let alone snows! Sense of community is also pretty non existant, there are alot of foreign integration now, which is no bad thing, but alot of them dont speak english. Christmas is sooo expensive now, most people dread it!
      The distance thing hasnt changed....!

Sounds like I'm moaning - I am! Thats why I'm leaving!

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123