Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By traveller

Thread: vague question about climate

melsnco

vague question about climate

I know this is vague, but please advise how you all coped with the change in climate.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Hi Guys,

An interesting one - having lived in Oz for three years - it does take time to acclimatise but it does happen. One this you do do is try and do what the Aussies do - for instance keep out of the midday sun, have air conditioning etc.

The harder bit would be for those folk that work out side in the heat - whether you can truely accimatise is another matter.

traveller
      I think you do acclimatise to some extent - we don't get really cold weather here like we did in the UK but this winter when it did cool right down we found it a lot colder than we did the first winter here - I actually had to dig my coat out of the closet and put it on one evening! It also gets a lot hotter here in the summer so we take time to make sure the house is cooled down before the real heat of the day kicks in. We used to find the air conditioning too cold when we first got here but now it seems just right.

Our diet has changed a lot - I can't remember the last time we had a roast dinner - we eat a lot of salads and I definitely drin k a lot more water. And they put loads of ice in their drinks which I still can't get used to.

I guess you acclimatise easier if you move somewhere seeking the sun - I feel better in warm weather than when it's cold.
      melsnco likes this.

Doz
      Ive been told it takes a good six months for your body to adjust.
      Like the others have said it also depends on certain factors. If you are in a very hot country, take your time, drink lots of cold water,light cool clothing a bit of air con maybe. I have noticed here that people dont walk they ride bikes everywhere, try to stay in the shade and do as little as possible lol

skink
      I think you do adjust eventually but then it's difficult going back the other way. We moved first to Singapore, very hot and humid year round, typically 28 to 32 degrees. The following year we had to go back to the UK on a visit. This was about June I think and it was sunny, 18 degrees and we were absolutely freezing. We were walking about in jeans and jackets, gloves while everyone else was in shorts and t-shirts and we're thinking "how can they walk about in t-shirts - brrrr". And in turn they're looking at us with a look like "geez, where are these guys from? planet Zog?"

oldyorky
      Quote Originally Posted by melsnco View Post
      I know this is vague, but please advise how you all coped with the change in climate.
      who coped where? When?

Title
      Liked
      372 times
      Rep
      ophidian is on a distinguished road
      This thread is from early 2009
      Soon to be back in the undisputed NUMBER 1 country in the world.....ENGLAND.

Title
      Liked
      859 times
      Rep
      Aldo is on a distinguished road
      in Brisbane I coped by purchasing lots of wet weather clothing. I was shocked to find that I was actually getting rained off more (working outside) in QLD than i ever did in the UK.
      It also rains in London sometimes but we are much better equipped to deal with it. The cold is also a thing that got me down in Brisbane. My house here in the UK is toasty warm in the winter but i can remember freezing my boobies off in Australia. Its like they are in denile that they have crap weather.
      it happens a lot everywhere in the world...

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      We started by moving to Melbourne then once we had got use to the weather moved up to FNQ