Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      SammyF

Any ideas on bringing my pets to canada

We've just heard that our pr has come through so we've now got lots to think about.I'd like to bring my 2 dogs and 2 cats to bc, whats the cheapest way? Any advise will be gratefully received.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Esseare
      We brought our cat over with us almost 6 years ago. Just make sure you ask before booking any flight that the airline WILL accept pets.I inquired about quarantine but was informed that there is no quarantine since there are so many wild animals in Canada. Now if you were ever to take the pets back to the U.K. they would be in quarantine for 6 months. The cheapest way? - well you probably wont get it as cheap as we did. We informed the travel agent that we were wanting to bring the cat and he said we could just pay for it when checking in. We were never asked for any money so we never offered any. Oh, btw. DO NOT bring any sort of food with you. They will just confiscate that, but DO make sure they have all their jabs and paper work up to 'scratch'
      Last edited by Esseare; 30-10-2008 at 08:09 PM.

SammyF

Bringing my pets

Thanks for your replies,much appreciated, I have sent a quote off to Airpets and are waiting for an estimate,then i'll have to see from there.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by SammyF View Post
      Thanks for your replies,much appreciated, I have sent a quote off to Airpets and are waiting for an estimate,then i'll have to see from there.
      Hi Sammy

Great to hear you have got your PR. If you contact Air Transat direct they will arrange for your pets to go on the same flight as you. We did this only 2 years ago and their flight costs for us were roughly the same as other carriers. We got to stay with the dogs and cat right up to the last minute and collected them at the other end. Make sure you have all the paperwork done which your vet will sort out and have the pets vet check done a few days before your flight. I cant remember how much we paid but it was very very reasonable. No rabies in the UK so no quarantine here on arrival, but recommend you get your pets jabs done soon.
      One last thing we did not sedate the pets and they were fine.

Where abouts in Canada are you heading to ????

Andy + Team Canada

SammyF
      Hi Andy,
      Thanks for your response.We are headed to Vancouver although plan to live outside the city.We're really excited but there is just so much to think about.Can i ask what breed your dogs are,and did you need to have
      passports etc?.Also what happens to your pets once you land in Canada?
      Thanks
      SammyF

Esseare
      Can i ask ................. did you need to have

I can answer that for ya Sammy, We also brought ours on the same flight as we came on and once we landed at the Toronto airport the pet came through along with the luggage. No passports needed, just all the vets paperwork. It's actually easier for the pets to get into Canada than us humans. They don't need PR and here in Ontario, it was MUCH MUCH easier getting her a doctor than is has been for my wife and I to get one. When you're going through immigration they may just check your pets paperwork there.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Can i ask what breed your dogs are,and did you need to have
      Thanks
      SammyF[/quote]

Hi Sammy

Sorry for delayed reply.
      We have two Schnauzers and no we did not require passports as we are on a one way trip. If we were to return to the UK then the dogs would go into quarantine. On arrival at Toronto we went straight to the pet bay and collected the dogs and cat then proceeded to Immigration - we looked like the Clampets from Beverly Hillbillies just had Grandma missing LOL. As I said we got the required paperwork from our local vet prior to leaving UK - it was so easy and saved us some money. Air Transat were great as they sent us the pet tickets so check in was straight forward. We went to the vets out here and got the dogs vaxed for rabies after seeing a rabid fox, also got them a local licence but that depends where you live and which province. Its a shame that dogs cant talk as I would have loved to know what they thought about flying. Our cat Tigger passed away after our first year but the dogs love it as we have a farm out here.
      Do you know when your coming to Canada

Regards

Andy + Team Canada

SammyF

I'm in abit of a tizz

Can anyone give me abit of advise about renting property in BC with pets? I'm still not sure what to do regarding taking my pets so i'm trying to get as much info as possible.It's probably abit obvious that i'm not used to using forums etc so if i come across alittle weird then i do apologise.