• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costs of Canada

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      mangetout is on a distinguished road

Costs of Canada

Any one come up with the extra costs we should consider when moving to Canada?
      We know about food, mortgages, rent, bills etc but what about car insurance and property tax ? or anything else

All tips would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Toedown is on a distinguished road
      Costs for both car insurance & property taxes vary massively depending where you live.
      Our yearly property tax is basically 1% of the value of the house. Whether it is the same in the other towns, cities, provinces, I don't know.
      I pay $1600 per year car insurance on a "12" Dodge Charger, whereas a friend in Manitoba pays $1100 total for 3 vehicles of which none of them older than "08".
      Bring your no-claims with you, some companies except it, some don't.
      Good use of grammar, punctuation & capitals makes the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Cell phones are expensive here, on PAYG phones, you get charged for everything, incoming and outgoing, calls & messages.
      I have a contract phone, paid $200 for iPhone4s, it costs me $85/mth, and I get 6GB, 600mins peak, unlimited Canada wide off peak, unlimited messages, iPhone to iPhone unlimited world messages.
      Good use of grammar, punctuation & capitals makes the difference between helping your uncle Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      thanks Toedown
      anything more you can think of let me know , I guess property tax is like our council tax ?
      Last edited by mangetout; 08-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by mangetout View Post
      thanks Toedown
      anything more you can think of let me know , I guess property tax is like our council tax ?
      Yes, it is but we also pay another, I think $1300/year for Garbage/Street cleaning/Water/Sewerage.
      I earn nearly double what I did in the UK, a lot of things are notably more expensive here but I am still more comfortably off here.
      Like I said before though, all the provinces are different, so don't rely on anything I say will apply to you if you are in BC or NB, I know we have the lowest tax here in Alberta when buying anything. eg, 5%, I believe BC is 12%.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Fingers crossed, its going to be Regina so I can take a look at what we are expected to pay.

Thanks again mate

Title
      Liked
      10 times
      Rep
      No probs, if I can think of anymore I'll let you know.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Purley is on a distinguished road
      We have lived in Regina for a long time. If you have any questions, let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

I met one of our best friends and also now our financial adviser - on an expat forum before they moved here 10 years ago. They are still here!!

Incidentally, I just got an iPhone 5C for $0 from Sasktel. I have a two year contract. For $70 a month I get unlimited data, unlimited text, picture and video messaging, unlimited daytime minutes, unlimited outgoing calls to Sasktel wireless customers anywhere in Canada, 150 long distance minutes. The guy told me that you get 10 gig a month data and then they slow you down but you can still get free data.

(Unfortunately, I think I will always miss the accuracy of my Blackberry Bold physical keyboard!! I could go really fast with two thumbs - but on the iPhone - I doubt I will progress beyond one finger typing!)
      Last edited by Purley; 14-04-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Title
      Liked
      15 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Purley View Post
      We have lived in Regina for a long time. If you have any questions, let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

I met one of our best friends and also now our financial adviser - on an expat forum before they moved here 10 years ago. They are still here!!

Incidentally, I just got an iPhone 5C for $0 from Sasktel. I have a two year contract. For $70 a month I get unlimited data, unlimited text, picture and video messaging, unlimited daytime minutes, unlimited outgoing calls to Sasktel wireless customers anywhere in Canada, 150 long distance minutes. The guy told me that you get 10 gig a month data and then they slow you down but you can still get free data.

(Unfortunately, I think I will always miss the accuracy of my Blackberry Bold physical keyboard!! I could go really fast with two thumbs - but on the iPhone - I doubt I will progress beyond one finger typing!)
      Hello Purley

Thanks for the advice, how about places to live in Regina ? we are looking at the new areas currently under construction The Greens, Harbour Landing etc any comments on these areas ?
      The wife is a chef but she also makes bespoke cakes as a side hobby for birthdays etc and she is considering starting up in Regina, would you happen to know what the competition is like.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Purley is on a distinguished road
      Not sure where the Greens is. Maybe on the east end perhaps. Harbour Landing is a new area. There is a new shopping area - I forget what they call it. Some parts of Harbour Landing are OK. Not terribly expensive I don't think. My granddaughter played soccer there last year and there were big houses backing onto the grassy soccer area and then apartments the other side that didn't look very expensive. We thought it was a bit of a strange mix. I live in the NW. There is a new area called maybe Hawkstone near me and I know some people who have moved into a new area. I don't know what it's called but its on the far north end of the City.

I quite like the look of Fairways West. I am not crazy about Harbour Landing because it's so close to Walmart etc. etc. and they have also built quite a few apartment blocks. Going up they looked like mobile homes piled on top of one another.

It depends what you want. The new areas all have small yards (gardens) which is OK for not doing any landscaping. But there are disadvantages. We were at a friend's house and they have tiny yards. Their deck was fairly high and when you sat there you could see into every other back yard all the way up the street. I saw a comment on Facebook about how the neighbour`s kids screaming on their trampoline ruined the summer for anyone within hearing distance trying to have a quiet drink or read on their deck!

Older houses tend to have bigger yards, bigger trees etc. I prefer that but not everybody does. You can look on the realtor.ca website for Regina and find everything from old to new.

As to cakes. There is Coco - my granddaughter bought me a cake for my birthday for the price of $42. We thought the cake was good but not worth $42. Sometimes people advertise stuff like that on Facebook to get it off the ground.

Going back to houses, it depends where you would be working. Traffic is not like the M25 but it`s all relative. People who work on the north end of the city tend to live somewhere near. Not the opposite end of the city.

Not sure if this is any use. Feel free to ask further.
      Last edited by Ziggy; 22-04-2014 at 03:20 AM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast