• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Costs of Canada

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      lozzie is on a distinguished road
      Hi really depends where u live in canada

when we lived in NS we had a mortgage 5 bed 3 bathroom swimming pool 2 family rooms games room and paid $800.00 per month. We are renting a property in hinton Alberta its nearly the same size apart from the swimming pool $2400 per month power bills are so much cheaper in alberta than nova scotia. Food is pretty much the same cost. I dont find food expensive out here apart from brit food :(. Cell phone out here are a joke even pay as you go silly prices really. im with koodoo $70 per mth i get free unlimited calls across canada free uk texting 5gb data plan i use viber to call the UK now Clothes i find expensive.
      If you need childcare due to you both working is expensive too

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Purley is on a distinguished road
      You wouldn't get all that in Regina now. It used to be cheap but the economy is so good here, house prices have gone up.

As as to where to live, we have always lived in the north west. There are lots of new areas up here.

http://www.kashlee.com/show_homes.html

i quite like Fairways West and there is another one called Waters Edge. The first one is near the Joanne Goulay golf course, which makes sense, but I don't know what water the other one is on the edge of! I have friends living in Skyview and Hawkstone is a bit like Harbour Landing - too close to Walmart for me. The Greens is out in the south east. Haven't been that way for ages so I have no idea what it's like.

I would do what our friends did - rented for a while until they decided where they wanted to buy. My husband has friends who,own condos and apartments so if you decide to go that route he can probably help.

I am not sure what it's like in the UK now but I would guess that if you want a bigger garden/yard you won't get it in a new house. Most new houses are too crammed in for me. Huge houses with postage stamp yards. If you want a bigger garden you can look on the realtor.ca site. That has every house for sale in Regina. But maybe not brand new that aren't built yet. The developers always sell those.

we live in the north west. If you want to start somewhere try searching Walsh Acres, Lakewood, or if you can afford it Lakeridge. Older areas around here - Normanview. If you want 100 year old houses try Lakeview. There are some lovely old houses there and of course the older the houses, the more mature the landscaping. Newer houses mean smaller trees.

Don't bother with the area north of Dewdney, west of Albert and east of the Lewvan. Trust me. You wouldn't want go live there. That area probably as far north of the train tracks is not good. Little tiny old houses.

That's why when my friends moved here they gave me the addresses of houses they were thinking of renting and I went and checked them out! Renting is a good idea. That gives you a chance to look at places before you commit yourselves.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I have tried to reply twice - but my posts never appear! Says they have to be moderated. Strange that this one shows! I will try again. See if I can remember what I said.

I think I said that Harbour Landing is OK. Too near Walmart for me. I like Fairways West - it's near the Joanne Goulay golf course. Not near any stores. Depends what you want.

That shows new homes in various areas. You can also try the realtor.ca site. That has every home for sale in Regina, but probably not the brand new ones. The developers tend to have those on their sites.
      Last edited by Purley; 23-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I tried to edit the above but got "No permission" so continue here.

There are pluses and minuses to new areas and old areas. If you don't want to do gardening - the new areas have very small yards. But with that comes a lack of privacy. We went to visit friends in Lakewood and when you sat on their deck, you could look down into about 10 yards at the back and beside. The trees are small. They do plant trees, but of course it takes 20 years for them to grow to a decent height.

Older areas have mature landscaping and big trees, but bigger yards so you have work to do outside.

If you look on google maps at Lakeview - to the west of the Legislative Building - on streetview you will see what an older area looks like. Also try Angus Boulevard, Leopold Crescent, Angus Crescent. If you want to look at Walsh Acres, which is where I live, or Normanview - those areas were developed maybe 40 years ago so they do have more mature landscaping. For really new areas try Lakewood or Lakeridge. They do have trees but they are 10-20 feet tall.

Older houses have more individuality but they usually need maintenance.

I would suggest you maybe go on usedregina or kijiji regina - look at houses for rent. That way you have somewhere to live and you can check the areas out personally before you commit yourself to buy something.
      Last edited by Purley; 23-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Title
      Liked
      114 times
      Rep
      Ziggy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Purley View Post
      I have tried to reply twice - but my posts never appear! Says they have to be moderated. Strange that this one shows! I will try again. See if I can remember what I said.

I think I said that Harbour Landing is OK. Too near Walmart for me. I like Fairways West - it's near the Joanne Goulay golf course. Not near any stores. Depends what you want.

That shows new homes in various areas. You can also try the realtor.ca site. That has every home for sale in Regina, but probably not the brand new ones. The developers tend to have those on their sites.
      HI PURLEY
      WE do get quite a few spammers on the forum, so sometimes the system picks out certain posts .... usually any advertising which hasn't been authorised by Admin will be removed, I.e., signatures advertising businesses, and links directing members to businesses and always links directing members to other social networking forums .....
      Please do report any posts you feel may be against forum rules, as admin and moderators will receive an email and will check out.
      Also I cannot stress enough how important it is for members not to post personal information on the forum, this is a public forum, and I too forget this, because I consider it a closely knit community, but it isn't, anyone, anywhere can view our posts, and this includes any personal information we post, so folks please, please remember we are not being old moaners when we request no email addresses or phone numbers / personal details ..... this is for your own safety ..... and we want you to feel safe on the forum .... we don't want anyone ringing you up in the middle of the night, saying they have got your phone no off Brits Abroad
      "I'm an instand star, just add water and stir" ..... David Bowie

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12