Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      philjharvey@hotmail.com

Cool Looking for people to chat to in Ontario

Hello all
      I am new here! I am starting out on the long road to getting my Visa through the Skilled Workers Class.
      We are using an immigration Agent, but I have to say so far it has cost me £2000 and I have done everything from filling out all forms getting all documents and sending off the application and fees to Canada house! Has anyone else done this?

Also the immigration bureau is telling me anything from 28 – 39 months for the application to be complete! Did anyone else have to wait that long as it seems a very long time for Visa’s to go through!

Sorry for all the questions but this is the biggest change to my life and I would love to chat to people that have gone through the process or are going through it now!

Thanks for reading

Phil

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      hesselink
      what a waste of money agency are cost us 3000 all in stuck here in canada and can't get a decent job wish i had stayed in scotland

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      melsnco is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by philjharvey@hotmail.com View Post
      Hello all
      I am new here! I am starting out on the long road to getting my Visa through the Skilled Workers Class.
      We are using an immigration Agent, but I have to say so far it has cost me £2000 and I have done everything from filling out all forms getting all documents and sending off the application and fees to Canada house! Has anyone else done this?

Also the immigration bureau is telling me anything from 28 – 39 months for the application to be complete! Did anyone else have to wait that long as it seems a very long time for Visa’s to go through!

Sorry for all the questions but this is the biggest change to my life and I would love to chat to people that have gone through the process or are going through it now!

Thanks for reading

Phil
      Blimey,,, the CIC says approximately 42 months for a skilled worker visa to come through. So maybe your route with an Agent will be quicker. We originally looked at doing it through an Agent but was advised (sorry) that they do not get dealt with any quicker than going it alone. Although from what you say, it does seem to be faster. Hopefully it will be 28 months for you and not the 42 that is quoted CIC!!!! Good luck. Whereabouts are you looking to go. Sorry, just realised your thread says Ontario!!!

philjharvey@hotmail.com
      Well, the new Information on NOC codes should be out today, this will determin how long or even if I am able to continue with the visa application!!
      I think the Agent has been a little crap so far and cost £1600 to date! Have you started the process?
      Phil

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Phil, just collecting all forms together, really early stages. I forgot the new codes are out today. I hope its all ok for you and us for that matter.
      It really is a long drawn out process isn't it. I understand all the checks etc, but I really wish it was quicker. It does feel a little bit disheartening when you read some of the posts of people waiting and waiting years. It seems the best way is to get a job sorted first. we are going to put the feelers out next year when we go over. Good luck, speak again soon. Mel

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by hesselink View Post
      what a waste of money agency are cost us 3000 all in stuck here in canada and can't get a decent job wish i had stayed in scotland

Oh dear, is it really that bad. How long did it take you to get to Canada?

I hope you get a job soon. Best wishes. Mel

hesselink
      it took about 3yars to get skilled worker visa but the only jobs you can get are in walmart unless you get a job first i would really consider not coming i know trade men and educated people who can't get job in there fields.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      RobinS is on a distinguished road
      I have to say that it is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of emplyment. In general you have to say in terms of engineering that there are a reasonable amount of companies around that are hiring, but I suppose like everywhere it depends on what part of Ontario you are in, and for us, what type of engineering.

Manufacturing is dying here as it is in a lot of the 'west'.

I am a mechanical engineer, as is my wife, with 25 years (ouch) of experience in telecom, defence and aerospace. In the past 10 years, we have between us been out of work 6 times, which I think is not too good. This has resulted in 4 unplanned house moves across Ontario to find new work. Inspite of that I have been fairly lucky and have probably only been sitting on my hands for about 10 months of the 10 years, but my wife, who is out of work right now, has been out of work for about 4 -5 years of the 10. Her most recent out of work period has lasted since last November.

The last time we were both out of work at the same time, we were living in Ottawa, it was so bad there with the massive telecoms lay offs that you kept meeting engineers driving taxis, working in Home Depot and delivering pizza. However, Ottawa is a really bad example as about 8-10 thousand engineers and production staff got laid off in a 2-3 year period between 2000-2002. However, this was really similar worldwide in that industry at that time and not completely indicative of Canada.

At that time in Ottawa my wife and I both got laid off from JDS Uniphase and I got lucky in a couple of months and got a more junior management job in a medical device company. When that place closed it's Canadian doors in 2005, my wife had been looking for work for nearly 3 years! That was almost the end of it for me in Canada as I point blank said to her that I would not move again in Canada to another temporary place for another temporary job. I was 4 weeks away from buying a ticket homoe to some pre-arranged interviews in Scotland and Ireland when another job came up 500km away. I was persuaded by the family to take it and we are in Kitchener now. Even then, my wife took a year to find a job and only stayed employed for 12 months before the company downsized!

It is really frustrating as I came here to earn more as an engineer than in Scotland and have spent a good eal of the extra (if it is even extra any more) on single income living and moving and selling houses!

All I can say is, it a great place to come and experience, but be very careful where you choose to live in terms of employment options, and if you can afford it, rent out your house in the UK until you know that everything is as good as you want it to be.

Some food for thought!

Good luck in your endeavours.

Robin

hesselink
      well said robin wish we had rented our house in glasgow would be home by now but as i said i will give it one year

Marg
      My sister, who is also from Yorkshire was told it would be at least 3 years. I have been here 41 years today and all I can say is put in the time its well worth it

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast