Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      adele is on a distinguished road

Cool looking for work in Canada

Hi to everyone great site by the way. I was wondering if anyone could help. My oh and I and our 2 children would like to move to Canada. Have been looking at the visa process and without a job it says it could take upto 3 years to process a visa. Really would like to leave as soon as possible, lost all faith in Britain altogether, fed up with what it does not have to offer!!! Would love a better life for all of us really ecspecially the children, have a friend who lives near Vancouver. My oh is in the construction industry and has been for 24 years, and I am a teaching assistant and have been for 2 years. On the sites I have been looking at, it states with a job the process can be speeded up. So far have been looking but have had no success so I was wondering if anyone here could give us some advice, maybe how you came across your job any advice really.I think my oh trade is listed on the jobs in demand but do not know much else about it. Any advice please!!!!!!!!!!!! Desperate to leave altogether now.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks Sheena for your time and such a quick reply will check those sites out.

carrie

going to Canada

Hi Adele,
      Like you we wanted to leave the UK. We came to Ireland just under a year ago. it's a beautiful country, great people etc... but really expensive.
      A friend of ours went to Canada to work, this made us start to think about moving there.
      I started looking through google.ca for work, came across a company in Alberta seeking truck drivers (which my partner and I are), and gave them a call. Luckily for us they were going to the UK in September to recruit for drivers, and invited us to come along. We've both been offered jobs.
      Our contract is for 2 years, but after six months we can apply for permanent residence, (PR) this usually takes between 12 to 18 months. If we'd applied for PR from the UK it woud have taken 48 months!

My suggestion is, research through Canadian websites, then made phone calls to companies. Remember they are about 7 hours behind us, which is to our advantage, because we can phone them in the evening and it's cheaper rates! The Canadians are friendly people and very helpful, they will do their best to give you as much information as possible.

Anyway, it looks like we are moving across at the end of November, we're just waiting for some paperwork to come through.

Best of luck in your search.
      Carrie

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Carrie thanks very much for the information, we too have been over to Ireland on holiday and yes it is a beautiful country. I will try google anything is worth a try, trying to leave Britain as soon as we can. Need a better life for our children, a friend of ours also went out to work and he said the life style over there is alot better over there for his children, they are really enjoying it. Thanks again and good luck. Do you know much about Alberta? My oh is hoping to go out to Canada before Christmas just to see what it is like sounds great though over there

carrie

going to Canada

Hi Adele,
      When I was trying to find general information about Canada I went to my local library. I found several books, one in particular was very interesting. It gave the lowdown on every Province, i.e.Winnipeg is nicknamed "Windypeg", for obvious reasons!
      It gave prices for eating out (really cheap,against Irish prices), leasing a car, local taxes etc
      We decided on Alberta becuse of the job offer. Alberta is a more expensive province due to its riches in gas and oil, but there are so many jobs available.
      Anyway, best of luck in your research.
      Carrie

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks Carrie for the reply will check out local library I had never even thought of checking the library as we just think we can find out everything on the internet. I think Alberta are after construction workers aswell. Have you been to Alberta before if you dont mind me asking? We have not but oh is trying to go in the next 8 weeks to visit his friend and get a feel for the place. But from the research and info I have been given it sounds good to me. Better education and health service and work propects. Oh work is slowing down due to the credit crunch so not much work here whereas in Canada construction industry is booming.

carrie
      Hi Adele,
      We've never been to Canada, I know it sounds foolish upping roots to move to a country we've never visited, but we can settle anywhere. Luckily we both have job offers, so I reckon we'll get to know people fairly quickly. One big problem I'm coming across is finding rental accomodation that will take pets, (we have two dogs),so as soon as we get the ok to go, I will advertise with the local newspaper for properties that will accept pets.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Carrie we would do the same move even though we have not been over there, I am sure you will be fine and as Sheena said lots of people do that. You have already moved to Ireland I am sure you will have no problems we would gladly go. We are still searching for jobs hopefully somthing will turn up as oh job is listed on the skills in demand so we will keep trying. I am sure you will find a rental that will let you take your dogs I think I have seen some that have, would need one ourselves as we too have 2 dogs.