Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      kim and co
      Thanks Andy,
      The boys cant wait to move I had know idea how much you have to think about, what advise could you give me on moving money over i have had all kinds of advise on money some say keep it here to get better interest and move it as and when i need it, my husband and i are planning on renting for a year or so, but again we hate renting so dont know if to buy after a few months
      i know when i get there it will all become clear,she says ha ha

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Jacqui
      Hi

I am a newbie also moving to Toronto. Well as soon as we sell our house we are.

I am very nervous about it all I am 55 and a bit set in my ways.

I expect I will be on here every day asking silly questions.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
      Hi

I am a newbie also moving to Toronto. Well as soon as we sell our house we are.

I am very nervous about it all I am 55 and a bit set in my ways.

I expect I will be on here every day asking silly questions.
      Hi Jaccui

Welcome to BA and feel free to ask anything. Great to hear your on your way to Toronto - fantastic city.

:emoticon-signxmas: From Andy + Team Canada

traveller
      Hi Jacqui,
      I don't think there's a specific age for feeling nervous about such a big change! Or for asking silly questions - I try to get one of those in at least once a day!!

Must be nerve-wracking trying to sell your house at the moment if the news is to be believed?

Jacqui

Wink

Its very nerve racking trying to sell. This time last year people would be lining up to give us 450,000 for our house, but we are not even getting viewings at 390,000. We are going to reduce again in January and hope for the best. If it doesnt sell then we cant go. I feel has if I have lived the last 4 months in limbo not knowing if I am going to Canada or not, I have lost interest in my job and I am now switching off from Canada its like a safety mechanisim to help control the dissappointment if it doesnt happen.

Oh well there are people worse off than me, people by the thousands losing there jobs daily here. The has dropped to an all time low - not good.

Sorry to rant.

Thanks for listening

traveller
      This is the place to have a good rant! It took us two years to get our visas for the States so I understand that feeling of being in limbo and building yourself up for disappointment. And it's hard to talk to friends and family about it unless they're going through something similar.

But I would say it's definitely worth it when you finally get to go. I'm not clear on the rules for moving to Canada - we didn't sell our house to move here so we're renting it out - how come you have to sell or you can't move?
      Last edited by traveller; 12-12-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Jacqui
      My husband has been offered a Vice Presiencey of a company in Toronto, which means we will have to buy share in the company. So we need to sell the house to raise as much as we can to buy the share holding. We were going to rent our house and borrow money in Canada, but I dont think they will lend money on a share holding until we get perm res, all very complicated!

We are hopeful that it will go in the new year, people are not looking at the moment, too busy with Christmas.

Esseare
      Quote Originally Posted by kim and co View Post
      Thanks for the welcome can anyone tell me would my husband and i have to take another driving test... i hated it the first time
      The short answer to that is NO. However, it's a good job you are liviing in mainland UK. I lived in Northern Ireland which does not have the DVLA but the DVLNI. Shortly after we moved here the system was changed that 'British' licences could be changed for Ontarian licences (Not sure about the other provinces) but since I had a DVLNI licence (which also isn't Irish) the people here were stumped when I insisted that it was ALSO British. I ended up just taking a short road test, even though I had been driving under my British licence for a few months.

Esseare
      Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
      My husband has been offered a Vice Presiencey of a company in Toronto, which means we will have to buy share in the company. So we need to sell the house to raise as much as we can to buy the share holding. We were going to rent our house and borrow money in Canada, but I dont think they will lend money on a share holding until we get perm res, all very complicated!

We are hopeful that it will go in the new year, people are not looking at the moment, too busy with Christmas.
      That will all depend on who you tallk to. When we bouoght our first home here, I wasn't a Permanent resident, I did have my work permit but had only a temporary part time job, my wife had a full time job but not the best pay. The guy we got (through the estate agent) was and is superb. If he can find a way he will do it. However we are not in Toronto but Kitchener so I'm not sure if he would work for you there.

Esseare
      Quote Originally Posted by kim and co View Post
      we are hoping to be there the middle of next year, if we sell our house. but are going to visit family in ontario in feb,cant wait....when does the snow clear? it must be lovely at christmas. could you also tell me does everybody drive jeeps? are they the same price as uk,i am saving like mad,work work work lol
      The snow wont be cleared until the end of ............... APRIL Well I'l sure you have heard in somoe of the older songs about "April snows" Yeah it IS 'lovely' at Christmas ONLY if you don't have to go outside. Driving in the snow or worse the black ice is treacherous. There ARE a lot of SUV's (Sports Utility Vehicles) however since last year when the price of gas leapt so quickly a lot of people downsized. The price you would pay in pounds for a car you will pay in dollars here.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast