• 2 Post By Selliott52

Thread: Nursing in Canada

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Catty is on a distinguished road

Nursing in Canada

Hi I'm currently applying (slowly!) for my nursing registration in Canada well just reviewing the application form! And I'm wondering how people found this process I've been given advice on the exam but I'm more interested in work options?

Any advice , tips. Anything really greatly appreciated.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      North Vancouver, BC 4 yrs, now Niagara region, Ontario for over a year
      Liked
      19 times
      Rep
      blackcomb is on a distinguished road
      No replies yet?

Well the exam is one thing, then it's the paperwork they want at the registration body end depending which province you wish to work in, but the process is the same regardless, ID such as birth cert, and professional body in UK proof etc, it's a process and it takes a bit of time (the frustrating part) but it's also a process that does end. Once you have the registration after the exam is passed in Canada etc, then you are free to get work. It also helps if you have permanent residency via Canadian Immigration in the UK as it means you can work anywhere in Canada and for any employer rather than being tied to one via a work permit that does expire after a year and means you would have to return to the UK except hopefully your employer will write the letter to state they need you that you send to Immigration when you apply for PR as mine did at the time before I left them (not the best employer and it was a big Phew! I got that in before I left them).

BC I'd say has the worst work economy employers employing casual not permanent so they don't have to pay out benefits so all for saving themselves money and not just nursing jobs either but across the board! (where I was for 4 yrs), Ontario and Alberta is much better with more permanent jobs. Just check out all the provinces and decide which you want to be in long term, and finding a job after the above process is done, is easy.

hope that helps.
      Catty likes this.

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Selliott52 is on a distinguished road
      Hi if you still need advice ask away. I've been a nurse in BC since July 2013 and found the process very easy. It only took 12 months from start to finish. You can wait for PR from the UK but as I understand it takes a long time, I'm here on a temporary work permit (which is for 3 years not 1 year), it was a condition of my visa that I had to have a permanent job, I doubt you will get a visa on the back of a casual job. I work in ICU and got a job by phoning the HR department and asking if they have any job, which they did!!!! I am now in the process of applying for my PR status through the provincial nominee program, which is quicker than applying by yourself.
      twinsmom65 and Catty like this.

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Catty is on a distinguished road
      Hey thanks
      took a. Little break from the process as I'm pregnant and as we are in Australia our plan is to get home for a year and then head off again. We are wanderers I think! I probably will take you up on the offer of help with questions but it will be towards the end of the year instead! Glad you thought the process was easy as it's a long and drawn out one for Australia and the thought of starting again is sorta putting me off!!!!