Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By NovaMike
    • 1 Post By Stacey
    • 1 Post By NovaMike

Thread: Someones please Help! :)

Theibbos

Cool Someones please Help! :)

Hello out there!! Firstly Thanks for clicking and reading!!

We are looking for a little help.....we have viewed so many websites and spoke to companies such as global visa etc.,

Here is my story so far....I am hoping to move myself, wife and 2 children toCanada, we both have no criminal record and are willing to work hard in Canada,we are looking somewhere in BC however are open to other avenues too. I am a truck driver and have been for 20 years, I have experience in driving many different types of wagons (or trucks as they say out there) I've drove in mountains (all be it in Scotland but mountains just the same) I've sheeted,secures long trailers etc. My wife is currently a Teaching Assistant and has been for a good few years, however also has qualification in other fields(health care worker and business admin), I have looked on websites and understand that I need to have a job offer to be able to move out and apply forvisas.....Is this correct??

If we have a job offer is a visa more or less hand in hand?? Should I pay for some help like Global Visa?? Are British Trucker drivers needed over there?? Do we stand a chance????

Please share your experiences or offer me a little help.....

Many Thanks

The Ibbotson Family!
      Last edited by Theibbos; 11-10-2012 at 09:51 PM.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      NovaMike is on a distinguished road
      Hi Guys
      Yes, to work in Canada, you will need visas, either Full residency visas or Work Permits. In your situation, probably the best route would be to contact Trucking companies directly in Canada. Those that hire internationally will be used to applying for Labour Market opinions (LMOs) from Service Canada. If they can get a LMO, the company will send you this along with your job offer and you can get work Permits at a Canadian Port of Entry (airport etc). Your spouse may also be able to get an 'open' work permit- although in many cases, Provincial and Federal rules may impose certain resrtictions (6 pay cheques etc).

You will initially be on Work Permits but can then apply Prvinciallor Federally for full PR (again Provincial restrictions may apply).

Mike.
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      69 times
      Rep
      Stacey is on a distinguished road
      I know this is a older post but if the OP is still around then i can give them a few truck companies to try out
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      One tip is to use google.ca rather than .co.uk to search for companies, to use Canadian terminology and to have a Canadian Resume. This is probably the biggest issue for Canadian employers, they generally do not get a UK CV (especially a badly formatted one)- it will go straight in the bin. Also, use internationaL DIALING CODES (NOT +44, use 01144 etc)
      Ktee likes this.
      Mike Wilson
      uk2novascotia.com

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Mike if you have a truck license in the UK can you just do a straight change over, or could they even use heir UK truck license over there?

Title
      Liked
      69 times
      Rep
      Stacey is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Ktee View Post
      Mike if you have a truck license in the UK can you just do a straight change over, or could they even use heir UK truck license over there?
      From what ive read you have to resit your truck test. Some companies will pay for it and others wont so you have to pay it yourself before you can work

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      Generally (I only know specifically about NS) yes, you will have to take your Air Brakes test etc. Most Provinces you can swap your normal driving licence over though. As Stacey says, some companies will pay for this (i think i heard around $5-6k!).
      Obviously they will want their pound of flesh for this...
      Mike Wilson
      uk2novascotia.com