Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what will the customs ask me when I arrive in Canada?

purple
      Totally agree, Jonboy.
      It would be the same as entering the US or the UK. I wouldn't recommend lying to an officer at the POE either, way too risky.
      Whichever way you look at it there's really no point in lying about anything to them.. they process thousands of people a week, and look for the smallest irregularity.
      A return ticket usually costs only a fraction more than a one way coming here.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      chicadeb
      Thanks jonboy and purps.

Very helpful advice.

Deb

Tim

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      Tim is on a distinguished road
      Remeber they ARE trained to weedle out the liars and the cheats! Yes you could try it, however, not recommended!

chicadeb
      I'm starting to feel a bit like a crim now!!

Just to set the record straight... I'm going there to visit my boyfriend. I've got enough money to cover the maximum of 6 months (I'll take a copy of my statement in case they want to see proof). I have plans to see what the work situation is like when I get there but realise that it's not straight forward so I'm not going to mention that as it's not a definite thing anyway. I haven't got a return ticket because I genuinely don't know how long I'll be there for... obviously it won't be any longer than the 6 month maximum. I wouldn't dream of staying longer than the 6-month period. I was just querying whether it would be best to say I was staying with friends rather than a "boyfriend" and whether if on questioning I should mention that I may look into the work situation. As the work situation isn't my main reason for going there, I won't mention it and with regards to my boyfriend, I'm think I'd rather say with friends as I'll be staying with him and his family who are now my "friends" if you like. Many thanks to everyone who has spent time into looking into it for me. I'll be going there in just over a month and will report back after I arrive as to how it went.

Bye for now!

Deb

purple
      All the best, Deb!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12