Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      dolly2801

advice needed on schooling in the costa brava area

:roll:
      hi guys, I am new to the forum and new to the possibility of moving to spain with my husband and 2 children, aged 18months and 4yrs. (by the time we possibly move they will be a good year or so older than this), We have family around the Alicante area and due to lots of factors may be joining them. One of my biggest concerns is the schooling issue. I have been able to do lots of research on the net and am I right in thinking that unless a child attends a Spanish state school that all other schooling is considered private and therefore involves a fee?
      I have no issues that my children attend a Spanish state school other than the language barrier. I have read so many replies on forums to similar questions and the general opinion is that they are young enough to pick it up. As a mum I just worry that my then, 5 year old, will be totally lost in the classroom if everything is taught in Spanish. I don't want to come across as ignorant as I know we are in another counntry but we want to make the transition for our children as smooth as possible.
      Obviously we will be learning the language ourselves and want our boys to do the same but throwing them in at the deep end is a real issue for me. Due to the Alicante area having such a large british community are there any state schools that teach in English as well as Spanish to help the children adapt?
      My last question, although I have so many..... but will stick with the schooling for now!!!!, how costly are the international/british school fees? ANy replies would be much appreciated!!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      kdal is on a distinguished road
      Hi & Welcome to the forum

I am not sure abt the cost or anything much about the education in Spain. We do have members on here that live in Spain so hopefully someone on here will be able to answer your question soon.

My Mum-in-law moved to Spain a while back and she loves living there, I know there are lots of young families living in the area that she lives in. I have been there when the children come home from school and they all look happy and healthy and their spanish is good too !! Great life for them, they certainly will not be suffering.

Good luck and hope you get some answers

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Naranjos is on a distinguished road
      I have been living in Spain for a little over four years now, I live nearer Torrevieja than Alicante and am retired. There are quite a few english children living around me and a few Spanish children too. The children around me all go to a Spanish school many of which were first timers to school. What I have found with these children is that language is not a barrier when the brits kids get together with the Spanish kids. Play is the same in any language and they seem to be able to converse with eachother in a fashion. Your children will pick up the language very quickly and the teachers are not ogres they will do their best to help the children understand. I am not able to answer your question regarding the English schools over here but I am sure I could find out from my young friends. I understand your concerns with your boys but I think you are worrying over nothing really. Why not pop over and speak with the head of the school you think you may be sending your son to that way you can explain your concerns and they will be able to put your mind at rest. They rather like parents to speak with them regarding their children and their education and if you decide you do not like a particular school you have the chance to visit another of your choice. I agree that their education is important to you and your sons and I am sure you all as a family will enjoy living here.

dolly2801

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks for your response, It actually really helped put my mind at ease! We are all going over on Sunday for 2 weeks for a break but also to start investigating a little on the schooling side of things and housing etc, so I may just see if i can get a couple of apointments with some of the head teachers in the areas we have been looking at, it certainly would give me peace of mind. Its nice to hear that the children seem so happy coming home from school and that all mix so nicely. I think it is a wonderful opportunity for them at this age so am warming nicely to the idea now!
      thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Naranjos View Post
      I have been living in Spain for a little over four years now, I live nearer Torrevieja than Alicante and am retired. There are quite a few english children living around me and a few Spanish children too. The children around me all go to a Spanish school many of which were first timers to school. What I have found with these children is that language is not a barrier when the brits kids get together with the Spanish kids. Play is the same in any language and they seem to be able to converse with eachother in a fashion. Your children will pick up the language very quickly and the teachers are not ogres they will do their best to help the children understand. I am not able to answer your question regarding the English schools over here but I am sure I could find out from my young friends. I understand your concerns with your boys but I think you are worrying over nothing really. Why not pop over and speak with the head of the school you think you may be sending your son to that way you can explain your concerns and they will be able to put your mind at rest. They rather like parents to speak with them regarding their children and their education and if you decide you do not like a particular school you have the chance to visit another of your choice. I agree that their education is important to you and your sons and I am sure you all as a family will enjoy living here.

dolly2801
      thanks for your message. My in-laws live there too, and they love it! The boys miss them too and we miss the babysitting!!, We are off for a visit on Sunday for a fortnight so I will be looking in more detail at the schools and I am sure I will come back feeling much better!!

dolly2801
      thanks Sheena! Hope life is treating you great in Oz, I am sure it is!!!

romfty
      Hi Dolly, reference schooling. We have been here over three years now and our son goes to the European School in Sant Juan, Alicante. This school teaches in the childs own language (there are different sections for UK, German, French, Spanish etc) but they then study core subjects in a second and third language as they grow older and follow the bacalaurette (spelling) system.
      My son was 11 when we came over and we made the decision (because of his age) to put him in his present school and he is doing well, but had he been much younger we would have placed him in a Spanish school no problem. They cater very well for European kids coming in and there are few problems, your children will pick up the language very qucikly, in fact one village not far from Alicante has more English and Dutch children in some sections than it does local children.
      Fees for private schools vary, there are International, English, French, European etc , but are much cheaper than the UK, around four thousand euros, plus books, uniform (if req'd) and transport/meals, per annum (not term) would be a rough estimate and all of the school heads will speak to you if you pull up outside and pop in to make an appointment.
      Good luck.