If you're driving in Turkey your checklist requirements are:

  • A valid UK driving licence - both the photo and paper parts. If you're staying for more than 3 months, or if you don't have a photo card licence, you'll need an International Driving Permit - find out more here
  • A GB sticker on the back of your car - even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
  • Your motor insurance certificate
  • Two warning triangles inside the car in case you break down
  • Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you're driving on the right, so your lights don't dazzle motorists coming the other way)
  • A first aid kit
  • A fire extinguisher
  • An 'A' category standard motorbike licence to hire motorcycles over 50cc - if you have an 'A1' category light motorcycle licence you can only hire bikes below 50cc

You must also:

  • Be 18 or over - 17 if the car you're driving isn't registered in Turkey
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seatbelt at all times
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle

It's a good idea to have:

  • Spare bulbs for your car's external lights
  • A Green Card valid for both the European and Asian parts of Turkey - it's a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you've got the minimum legal level of cover. If you'd like to find out more, contact your insurance company

Other things you should know:

  • You will have to pay tolls for some motorways
  • Petrol (leaded and unleaded), diesel and LPG are readily available
  • The speed limit is 50kph in built-up areas, 90kph on open roads and 120kph on motorways
  • If you're caught committing a driving offence, you'll be given an on-the-spot fine
  • The drink driving limit is zero - so there must be no alcohol in your blood when driving
  • You must use dipped headlights during the day, when driving through Turkey
  • You shouldn't use your horn except in cases of extreme danger
  • Children under age 12 can't sit in the front
  • If you're driving at night, or in rural areas, watch out for livestock or unlit farm vehicles
  • If you have an accident, you need to call the police and get an accident report from them

Useful guides and maps

Michelin Motoring Atlas: Europe