Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      lesleyk

looking for spain bar owners

hi thereim looking to chat with bar owners in spain thinking of buying a bar on the costa del sol any advice would be apprecciated.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Hi Lesley,
      I have English (wilts born and bred) friends who used to own a Cafe in Majorca. Not a bar but similar in many respects.
      They seemed to me to have it all, the business, the lifestyle etc. etc.
      I was so impressed (read jealous ) that I got pointers from them to do the same.

Where they were, they worked harder than they or I realised, but it took them time to understand why. Staff become a problem if someone lets you down at the last moment.

You need to speak Spanish as when you are inspected (which will be regularly as it's a business) in their case the inspections were carried out by the Police and in Spanish. Your suppliers will also speak in Spanish. I know that one answer is to employ a Spanish speaking person to assist you but then it becomes their business and you become an employee.

Secondly you need to choose your pitch very carefully, there are loads of Bars for sale in Spain where the sellers are Ex pats with the same dream as yours. Most fail because of the 7 P's.
      There are several web sites available with which to buy a bar in Spain. But to be honest that, other than through interest, is not the way to go at this stage.

Third, you do need bar experience, and I don't mean in the UK although that and a Publicans training course under your belt would be something to think about.

The best way to do it is to move to your chosen area, get a job working in a bar and in your free time get to know the local area and it's pitfalls. Learn which are the best bars and which make the money.

Then you choose the right bar to buy or rent at the price you know is right because you have researched it.

I know of a chap called Ed who owns and runs
      Eds Diner and Bar, "A British owned family run restaurant and bar located in Torre de la Horadada. This lively, friendly bar offers excellent food at competitive prices, pool table, weekly entertainment, and caters for private functions."
      I once sat at the bar talking to Ed after a chap came in to ask him about starting a bar. I don't know what Eds advice was but he said to me after that of every 10 people that come to Spain with the dream of opening a bar only one will make it.

So I am not trying to put you off, I am simply reminding you that your going to need to do more research to open a bar in Spain than you would do in your home country as there are further obstacles to over come, like speaking, reading and writing the language just for starters. Don't let that put you off, loads of people do it, but the wise one's make a profit :-)

Good luck, let us know how you get on

lesleyk
      thanks for the advice its very much needed im thinking of moving over to spain in the new year.i wont rush into anything as my visit to the costa del sol last week told me just what you have said.every box needs to be ticked and i need to live there and work to be sure if its for me.

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      you are welcome.
      It would be really great if you would consider writing a blog or a continuing thread on this site purely about your adventures in moving to, working and getting a bar in Spain.
      Such a thing would be fascinating to read and be of help to others wanying to do the same thing.