Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      165721 is on a distinguished road

Thinking of living and working in Malta... Please help!?

Hi,

I have just received a job offer to work in Mosta in Malta. I need to gather info to make an informed and sensible decision, as I have other opportunities available to me and need tobe sure I make the right choice!

First of all I need to ensure the offer is suitable in terms of averages and cost of living. It is E20,000 plus a modest accommodation allowance of E2,640. Now this is a big drop from what I have been earning in the UK, but is this fair; the job is technical and I have a PhD.

Next is taxes. What are the taxes like and what should be expected as a take home from the above?

Also, my partner will be joining me, so we need to be sure that she would be able to work. She is a highly experienced secondary school English teacher in the UK, would there be opportunities for her, and what could she be expected to earn? I have heard there is a big industry in English as a foreign language, but she doesn't have a TEFL certificate or anything...

I don't need to ask about what it is like to live there, as I have gpt a good feeling for the place over my few days here...

Your help is very much appreciated!

Thank you,

Jack

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      169 times
      Rep
      purple is on a distinguished road
      Welcome to britsabroad, Jack.

Hope that someone wil give you the answers you need :)
      If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. - John Lennon 1940 - 1980

Title
      Aldo is a Dil
      Liked
      23 times
      Rep
      thearmchairdetective is on a distinguished road
      Hi, Welcome to the site.
      Enjoy your stay.