Thread: Thai authorities query

Title
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Gollywobbler is on a distinguished road

Cool Thai authorities query

Hi All

A friend's 30 year old British daughter has spent quite a lot of time in Thailand during the last couple of years. Recently, the daughter went to Malaysia in order to obtain a new tourist visa for Thailand. The new visa will last for about a month, I believe.

When the daughter returned to Thailand the other day, Thai immigration officials marked her British passport with a "red stamp." The daughter believes that the red stamp means that she is unlikely to be granted another visa for Thailand any time soon, so she is thinking of returning to the UK for a while during November 2013.

Does anyone know how the daughter can discover the real significance (if any) od the red stamp, please? I believe that the daughter is in or near Koh Samui but I have never visited Thailand myself.

Many thanks.

Gill

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Gill found this hope it helps
      There has been a "tightening up" of the interpretation of visa rules both at different border crossings when leavin' Thailand by land, AND at the neighboring countries Thai Embassies. That "old rule" of so many border crossings in a 6 month time frame has fallen by the way side a while ago, in fact it stopped being enforced when they reduced land crossing "visa exempt stamps" from 30 to 15 days for most nationalities.A lot of the well know visa run companies here in Bangkok, will look at your passport or question you about how many existing "Tourist Visas" you have which are "back to back", and they'll decline to take you on a visa run if they think you're likely to be denied.Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Penang, which all used to be fairly soft touches on back to back tourist visas for foreigners are now refusing outright to issue to foreigners who have a few already in their passports (no matter where they were issued). They are also stamping peoples passports with the dreaded "red stamp", which basically says, "the holder of this passport has entered Thailand several times on a tourist visa and may be denied another visa
      You can't really fault Thailand for tryin' to stop people from living here on Tourist Visas or perpetual visa exempt stamps. I mean, last time I checked, if you're living here, well you're not exactly a tourist now are you?Lest someone starts in with the "beaten to death" excuse, "I contribute financially to the country, blah-blah-blah..." Here're some real statistics which I ripped from some Thai governmental site a couple three years ago about "tourists";

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Madame Jane is on a distinguished road

scan it please!

If you could possibly scan the stamp on her passport, so I can check it with my Thai friends. They seem to think it doesn't mean anything they do use red ink for exit and blue for entry. But sometimes they do it in a wrong way, especially if the immigration staff is new, they can easily get confuse which ink to use.
      Ktee and tonyman like this.
      Common sense is not a gift, It's a punishment.
      Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it!

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      you seem pretty clued up on things Jane.................whats your story ........?
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Finally! there's sign of life on this forum! there are 47 online but only 2 members login!

My Thai friend told me about this.... she is married to British from Cambridge and he also encountered red stamp but still going in and out in Thailand for more than 7 years now.

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Madame Jane View Post
      Finally! there's sign of life on this forum! there are 47 online but only 2 members login!

My Thai friend told me about this.... she is married to British from Cambridge and he also encountered red stamp but still going in and out in Thailand for more than 7 years now.
      There is life Jane but not as we know it ............
      Ktee and Madame Jane like this.

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep

Title
      Liked
      8 times
      Rep
      albertcunningham is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
      There is life Jane but not as we know it ............
      That was quite spooky hahaha!
      http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...-life-on-earth

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Whoooaaa! More life here today Currently Active UsersThere are currently 54 users online. 5 members and 49 guests
      Most users ever online was 555, 11-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.
      Madame Jane*, jibsymalone, RachelMoss, rudders34, shannoon
      Hello guys!