In order to live and work in Hong Kong you will need a visa. Gateway will take you through the requirements and the various levels of visa.
Employment for Professionals

Once a job is secured in Hong Kong, skilled foreign workers can apply for an Employment Visa. The applicant must possess a decent educational background, preferably with an undergraduate degree. That being said, specialised professional experience and or specific skills may suffice.
Documents required from the Employment Visa applicant:

  • Completed Employment Visa Application Form
  • A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport. If you are currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of your passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong.
  • A copy of your Hong Kong identity card (if any)
  • A copy of proof of your overseas residence
  • A copy of proof of academic qualifications and relevant working experience

Documentation must be in English or Chinese or translated into English or Chinese by a certified translation body. The Immigration authorities reserve the right to demand further documents from the applicant or employing company as and when necessary.
Once the visa application has been submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department, the processing usually takes about 4 weeks. If the application is successful, the Immigration Department will issue a Visa/Entry Permit label which must be collected from the immigration office by the applicant or an authorized representative.
The Visa/Entry Permit label must be affixed on a blank visa page of the applicant’s passport and presented to the Immigration Officer upon arrival in Hong Kong.
Dependent Visa (for spouse and children of Visa Holder)

Employment Visa holders are eligible to bring their family members (spouse; unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) with them to Hong Kong. A dependant visa application must be filed for each family member for this purpose. The dependent’s length of stay is tied to the applicant’s length of stay in Hong Kong and dependant visa holders are free to take up employment or study in Hong Kong.
Permanent Residence

If you have been granted a work visa under the employment for professionals scheme and you have resided in Hong Kong for a continuous period of at least seven years, you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence, commonly referred to as “Right of Abode” in Hong Kong. The application is subject to satisfying the requisite criteria.