Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Sharon

Thread: Chance of working in Qatar

Stuthebroo

Chance of working in Qatar

I have just been offered a final interview for a secondment with my company to Qatar for up to three years in the oil and gas industry. I'm not sure of the salary on offer but the company provide accommodation and pay for my children's schooling (except uniforms basically). From reading various forums I understand school places are a nightmare but the company do have a preferential entry arrangement with the US Int'l school though I would prefer UK curriculum.
      My wife is concerned about being bored living in Qatar and also the general restrictions caused by the culture out there. We have just discussed it with the children, 12yo daughter and 13yo son, which was fairly traumatic to be truthful and have a 19 yo son who has basically said he's not going but due to learning difficulties is probably not capable of looking after himself and my in laws are certainly too old to be keeping an eye on him plus they live 30 miles away from our home. Aside from that it's looking good

Just wondering what would be classed as a decent salary, in sterling, to live a decent life style and save some money? The company also pay airfares home up to twice per annum.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Just wondered how you went, did you make the move?

Stuthebroo
      Hi Ktee,
      my employer does not guarantee a position at the end of the secondment which proved to be the show stopper for me. Early 50's and potentially unemployed is not a place I wanted to consider. Shame as I have since found out I was the preferred candidate for the job, c'est la vie.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Thats such a shame. Will you try for other jobs?

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Jjoseph is on a distinguished road
      Qatar is a rising economy. People can not ignore the importance now. There is no such a cultural gap as copmare to europe and the education is available on the international standards ... Usually and most probabaly the salries and the other accomodations are quiote impressive and superb...
      Geberally i could say that the its a beneficial buisiness place now.
      Last edited by Ktee; 17-06-2013 at 07:44 AM.
      Byron Quarter Holiday Apartments
      8 Byron Street Byron Bay NSW 2481 Australia

Title
      Liked
      2 times
      Rep
      Sharon is on a distinguished road
      I've just left Qatar after 5 years there and am so happy to be out of It. I have a 15 yr old daughter who absolutely loved it and had a lot of friends and just didn't want to leave but it had run its course for us. Salaries are good and we found we needed about €16,000 pm to be able to live a nice life and save. The 2 good things going for Qatar is the children are safe and the petrol is cheap. There are plenty of expat groups so its easy to get to know people. The schools do have long waiting lists but once the children start they will love it. The American school certainly has a good reputation.
      Ktee likes this.