Thread: Another type of shipping question - my dog

Title
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Beckyr is on a distinguished road

Another type of shipping question - my dog

hi all

So thanks to everyone that helped with my last post - I now have ideas of shipping companies to contact regarding my household items. Now I need some advice about taking my dog with me to USA.

I am going to get some quotes from the various pet export companies I can find on the web, but has anyone done this on their own, without using one of these companies? I assume it would be cheaper, but I was wondering how much cheaper it actually is and how much hassle it would be. And also what are the pitfulls?

And are there any companies anyone can recommend and how much was it? And - more importantly - any to avoid. My dog is a bit nervy and the last thing I want is a complete nervous wreak at the end of the flight.

As always, I will be very grateful for any help and any hints and tips. I think this is the thing I am most concerned about, I have thought long and hard about the pro and cons of taking her with me and I would hate anything to go wrong.

Many thanks

Becky x

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      WanderingBrit
      Do you need a pet-passport?

Where are you going from? I am not sure which countries require a pet-passport.

Also, have you considered quarantine? There maybe a set time frame that your dog has to stay in quarantine before being released back into your care.
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      9 times
      Rep
      Beckyr is on a distinguished road
      Hi - I certainly left off some important information!!!

I am living in UK now and from what I have looked up it seems I don't need a pet-passport for USA. Although, she does have most of the requirements needed for a pet-passport, so if I am wrong, if should be easy to sort that out. And the USA don't make the dog go into quarantine, so hopefully it will just be a case of getting her off the plane and straight into the car!!!

I am trying to double check the rabies gab - it looks like I won't need it as we don't have rabies in the UK, but the few sites I have read - it isn't obvious.
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Hi Beckyr
      On the 4th July between 8pm-10pm we are having a chat expo on PIO (Australian forum) I have just found out Bob at petair is going to take part. Now being in the veterinary world myself for a number of years I can highly recommend him (a fellow vet) don't worry about it being an Australian forum because he ships worldwide. I would not hesitate to recommend his service.
      You can ship yourself but to be honest the main cost is the flight, so you won't save a lot. One other way you could save is to get them to do all the paperwork but actually take your furry friend to the airport yourself.
      Beckyr likes this.

Lakemarymum
      Having done this twice and own and run a dog training company in UK and USA I think I may have some answers. Pet passport helps if your move dosnt work out there is no quarantine in the us fly your dog yourself using virgin they are a "live" cargo carrier all you do is book your flight with cargo they will tell you what flights are taking live cargo they normally fly on Tuesdays. Buy an airline crate on eBay normally big enough for the dog to turn.
      Paperwork required they will advise normally microchip if chipped number and a certificate that the dog has had it's rabies jab in the last 24 hours it will cost you around 3500 gbp to use a so called freight company to do the same thing only difference you pick up the phone and book the flight it's a con they charge by the size of the crate the most is around 1200 gbp that would be for a German Shepard size dog. They will not fly flat nosed dogs such as french bull dogs but a list is available online
      DO NOT SEDATE THE DOG THEY WILL NOT FLY IT.
      Service dogs fly free with virgin they were amazing with my 7 year old daughters service dog.
      I'm returning to the u in December to pick up my daughters new service puppy to fly out can't wait any questions feel free to ask
      Virgin also
      Ktee likes this.