Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Daisy
      Been there but we never considered moving to the US. I have relatives who have lived there for a long long time but does not do it for me.

I have too much of a social conscience for US.

Of course our brit pension would be indexed if we lived there.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Tamarapig
      Well done you Daisy! Although I live in the States now I think that's what I find hardest about it - the complete LACK of people's social conscious. It's truly a place that's "all about number 1" and no-one gives a flying crap about anyone else. I have hardly any friends here because once I get to know someone and find out what
      TRULY AWFUL people they are basically I tell them what I think and that's pretty much that! Honestly - it's scary. And what's even scarier is I'm raising my child around this kind of mentality. But we do our best to instill her how important it is to care about the common good - and not just what concerns oneself.

demontrucker
      Hi there everyone, we recently went to the states on a 'ranching' style holiday in Montana and we have fallen in love with the place. Prior to this we had plans to move abroad anyway, and were choosing betwenn Oz, Canada and New Zealand. I'm an electrician and also have my HGV 1 license, so hopefully visas and work shouldn't be impossible. I don't think I would like to live in a major American city such as Detroit, New York etc, I think that would be just the same as moving to London, just different accents! Montana, in particular Bozeman, White Sulphur Springs, Yellowstone and Bonanza Creek Country are just simply amazing. Big wide open spaces, friendly people, beautiful scenery, seasons much like ours, and prices of virtually everything are so much cheaper than UK. Things like petrol were a quarter of our current prices, and in the wal-mart we visited in Bozeman you could buy almost anything, from milk to car tyres!
      Does anyone know the procedures for emigrating to the U.S., and a reputable attorney and estimated costs etc? We have no family out there, and havent made any enquiries so far about applying for jobs, as with most foreign countries i will have to resit their equivalent exams for my trade recognition.
      As far as internet chatting goes, yes there is Skype which is free, but theres always the less sophisticated MSN with webcams called video conference.
      Craig

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Andy is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark and Jo View Post
      The states was a choice that I had suggested before we moved to Oz. Would anyone else move to USA and if so what are your reasons?
      Hi Mark and Jo

North America - YES

USA - NO NO NO NEVER {only for hols}

Regards Andy
      Last edited by Andy; 07-09-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Parmoboy
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark and Jo View Post
      The states was a choice that I had suggested before we moved to Oz. Would anyone else move to USA and if so what are your reasons?

Good heavens no!
      I am very open minded and tolerant of all nationalities so that would not be an issue for me to ponder if it were ever an option, what does put me off is the fight to be heard, be the loudest, brashest and dare I say the largest? This along with the gun culture just absolutly abors me.
      Although everyone to their own so good luck to all who decide the good old US of A is for them.
      My grandchildren have been to Florida twice and found the place fasinating but I would have thought these places would be 'geared' to meet expectations would they not?

Toodle Pip.

Tamarapig

Re: Parmoboy

No - Florida is a state like anywhere else - not "geared" for tourists. Sure Disneyworld is but if your relatives have been through the actual state - not JUST Disneyland what they experienced would have been reality. So - for all your comments about how awful the Gun Totin' US is - have you ever been? No? Well then you don't really know what you're talking about do you? It's extremely narrow minded to judge a place based on what you see on TV or it's "image" - which from what you're saying is based on an outdated Wild West movie. There are lots of great things about the U.S. (and I've lived half my life in the U.S. and half in the U.K.). The worst is the lack of social conscience prevelent throughout most of the general population (this is a generalization and obviously doesn't apply to everyone but I say "generally" this is the case). The best is the scope of opportunities available. The American dream really is alive and well. If you work your ass off then you pretty much can achieve. It is a place of second chances. If you fail your SAT's for college entrance you can take them again. If you screwed up in HIgh School but have dreams to attend a top tier school - you can go to a community college, work your ass off and transfer to the school of your dreams. These are a couple - probably very bad examples of how the U.S. can be slightly different than the U.K. Yes - there IS a class system - just watch Roseanne. BUT - it's not just the university educated that can earn big in the U.S. In California prison officers earn $150,000. A pharmists degree only takes 6 yrs to earn and they earn around $140,000 per annum. So yes - there IS opportunity in the States. That's why we moved here - for our daughter to be able to take advantage of this. But equally - yes - the narrow mindedness, lack of social conscious and the superficial mentality of the general population drives me crazy.

demontrucker
      Hey Tamarapig, maybe you could help me out here? I'm not of the opinion that the US has a gun totin' culture, and i'm guessing there may well be problem areas where guns/gangs/drugs are quite prevalent, much the same as major UK cities have these problems. You only have to read loacal newspapers to see gun crime and other violent crimes involving weapons are no longer a 'rarity' in the UK.
      However, I visited Montana, or at least a very small part of it, namely Bozeman,White Sulphur Springs, Bonanza Creek Country and a few other local villages the names of which escape me, and all i found was beautiful country, enviable lifestyles, incredibly friendly and helpful people, and very cool trucks . I fell in love with the idea of moving there, but unfortunately I am struggling to find any attorneys/migration agents that deal with UK to US migration, or indeed, much in the way of information regarding the procedure or requirements.
      Could you pass any advice/wisdom/knowledge or websites that you think could enlighten me please?
      Feel free to pm me if you prefer.
      Many thanks
      Craig

Tamarapig

to Craig

Hi Craig
      Yes - like anywhere there are good places and bad places. Never been to Montana but somewhere like that would be Ok - low crime etc. I have no idea about immigration attorneys etc. My husband got in because I'm American born. You CAN get in without marrying an American but what you have to do is have someone "sponsor" you - like a job. If you can do a job that's in demand in the U.S. then that will obviously help. Or if you know someone who says they will support you if you don't find work etc - who is an American. Plus you have to have enough money to show them that you can support yourself for awhile. All that sort of thing. The average time it takes is 6 months to a year if you're married to an American. If you're not I imagine it would take longer. It won't be easy but good luck!

Parmoboy
      Quote Originally Posted by Tamarapig View Post
      No - Florida is a state like anywhere else - not "geared" for tourists. Sure Disneyworld is but if your relatives have been through the actual state - not JUST Disneyland what they experienced would have been reality. So - for all your comments about how awful the Gun Totin' US is - have you ever been? No? Well then you don't really know what you're talking about do you? It's extremely narrow minded to judge a place based on what you see on TV or it's "image" - which from what you're saying is based on an outdated Wild West movie. There are lots of great things about the U.S. (and I've lived half my life in the U.S. and half in the U.K.). The worst is the lack of social conscience prevelent throughout most of the general population (this is a generalization and obviously doesn't apply to everyone but I say "generally" this is the case). The best is the scope of opportunities available. The American dream really is alive and well. If you work your ass off then you pretty much can achieve. It is a place of second chances. If you fail your SAT's for college entrance you can take them again. If you screwed up in HIgh School but have dreams to attend a top tier school - you can go to a community college, work your ass off and transfer to the school of your dreams. These are a couple - probably very bad examples of how the U.S. can be slightly different than the U.K. Yes - there IS a class system - just watch Roseanne. BUT - it's not just the university educated that can earn big in the U.S. In California prison officers earn $150,000. A pharmists degree only takes 6 yrs to earn and they earn around $140,000 per annum. So yes - there IS opportunity in the States. That's why we moved here - for our daughter to be able to take advantage of this. But equally - yes - the narrow mindedness, lack of social conscious and the superficial mentality of the general population drives me crazy.

My my, I did not wish to offend you young lady, although I must correct you, not once did I write 'the Gun Totin US' nor did I refer to anything that could be construde as to have come from a 'Wild West' film, I simply stated a 'gun culture' and argue as much as you wish, there is a gun culture prevelent in quite a number of places throughout the US.
      I was simply replying to the origional posting asking if 'you were wanting to move to the US?'
      I would agree with a lot of what you have stated re the land of oportunity and the American dream, also -- "The worst is the lack of social conscience prevelent throughout most of the general population" this unfortunatly also applies to certain areas (or generations) in the UK.
      I have witnessed a great falling away of the 'social conscience', particuarly over the last 3 decades or so.

Toodle Pip

traveller
      I moved to California last October with my husband - he can work here but I can't yet so I go back to England quite regularly for work. My husband has really settled here very quickly whereas for me it's taking a little longer.

As for guns - I haven't seen any although there has been reported gun crime but not that different from what I've been hearing back in the UK. I certainly feel safe when I'm out and about.

Concerning toys - well I had a motorbike in the UK and I have a Triumph Thruxton 900 here so same toys, different weather!

The people - a lot of them are nuts! But seriously we are making friends and although I've encountered some very screwy attitudes I still have faith! We are becoming part of our local community and they look after each other a bit better here.

Tamarapig - I use a Skype phone (one that doesn't need me pooter to be on to make a call) and I can phone landlines and mobiles in the UK and chat away happily. It usually costs just a few pence and I have had a call to a mobile last an hour! The quality is good 90% of the time and the service is reliable. And obviously calls to other Skype phones are free. When folks back in the UK phone me on their landlines or mobiles they pay the same as a call to London (my Skype number is a London code). I'm no expert - my husband set it up but I'll happily pass on info if you want to know more.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast