Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Septicbrit

Thread: Average vacation entitlement

Yorkshirematt

Average vacation entitlement

Just trying to get to grips with some of the possible downsides to moving to the states, and I heard that one might be that the average annual vacation entitlement is approximately 2 weeks (10 days).

Have you found this to be true?

Currently in the UK, I am getting 6 weeks (30 days) vacation, plus all the bank holidays. I appreciate that a little sacrifice may be in need.:twitcy:

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Septicbrit
      The 10 days is about right if you're unfortunate enough to have an employer. And you probably won't get that until you've worked a year. Usually builds up to a whacking twice that after 20 years of service!

But you really need to work on the how side first! Do you fit in a niche (half a million bucks, PhD in an 'ology, diversity visa winner, etc.) or not? Because without that it's futile thinking about the other stuff.

Yorkshirematt
      Quote Originally Posted by Septicbrit View Post
      The 10 days is about right if you're unfortunate enough to have an employer. And you probably won't get that until you've worked a year. Usually builds up to a whacking twice that after 20 years of service!

But you really need to work on the how side first! Do you fit in a niche (half a million bucks, PhD in an 'ology, diversity visa winner, etc.) or not? Because without that it's futile thinking about the other stuff.
      Cheers for the quick response, however I do feel that there is no harm in asking all sorts of questions now, when they come to mind. Being informed will help make sure that the right decisions are made at the right time.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirematt View Post
      Cheers for the quick response, however I do feel that there is no harm in asking all sorts of questions now, when they come to mind. Being informed will help make sure that the right decisions are made at the right time.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Having posted on US immigration boards for a long time, I feel it's best to stress the visa above all else. In the early days I went through complicated descriptions pages long about specific worries.....only to discover later that it was all pie in the sky because they hadn't got a hope of securing a suitable immigration status. It's nothing personal, but you'll find many that freely give their experience on living in the US do the same since most who post will not be making the trip. First work out whether you've got a chance of coming, then work on that and the other details will fall into place.

Most who make it to the US came not through volition but rather force of circumstance. This contrasts greatly with those Brits who go to other common English-speaking destinations such as Canada, New Zealand or Australia.
      Yorkshirematt likes this.