Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 1 of 1
    1. #1

      Avoiding Tax for Brits in the USA

      As far as the UK state pension:

      Men born before 6 April 1945 usually need 44 qualifying years.

      Women born before 6 April 1950 usually need 39 qualifying years.

      Men born on or after 6 April 1945 need 30 qualifying years.

      Women born on or after 6 April 1950 need 30 qualifying years.

      You can figure out the qualifying years from here from the UK government web site. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_184319

      If you have a private pension, you can avoid UK taxes and defer your US taxes.

      You have to report to the IRS, but don't necessarily have to pay tax and the UK and US have a double taxation treaty. If you have a private pension plan, you can transfer your pension to Malta to avoid UK taxes. You can then defer your US taxes until later. There is no tax on the growth of the pension fund in the QROPS. Distributions from the scheme are reportable in the US by the member and by the trustee in respect of factor. The distributions will be taxable in the US but may be treated as annuity income which may be taxed favourably.
      Last edited by Ktee; 31-01-2012 at 09:34 AM.

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

    Tags for this Thread