Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Madame Jane
    • 1 Post By Ktee

Thread: Can anyone give my mum and I some advice on moving to America?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      shannoon is on a distinguished road

Post Can anyone give my mum and I some advice on moving to America?

Hello! i'm currently 15 and my mum 35 have been considering moving to America we don't know whether to wait until i have finished school or move out to america in the next 1/2 years, and if we did where would we start? My Mum works as a self employed Beautician and wondered whether she could get us both a Visa and if there is an industry out there for it. We really don't know where to start so words of advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou!:)

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Madame Jane is on a distinguished road
      Your mother is a skilled worker. She may have a chance to get an employer who can sponsor her and you as her child. There's lots of information in here. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
      But if you are already in Scotland why move to US? Do you watch the news? I think you have better life being in Scotland than US. US is not a safe country, most everyone has guns. You cannot have Benefits like what you have in Scotland. US only sounds good but you are far better already where you are.
      shannoon likes this.
      Common sense is not a gift, It's a punishment.
      Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it!

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Sorry I forgot to welcome you Shannoon. Welcome to BA! we hope we can answer your questions. We do hope you stick with us so we can change ideas and experiences.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hello :) I have seen what's in the news and it slightly puts me off but seeing how many people live there and how many areas aren't affected by gun crime puts me back on the idea! I suppose it all just depends on what area you live in maybe? I have always wanted to move to america from a young age everything just seems so much more appealing over there, maybe its just because I have lived in a tiny village in the north east of Scotland and there's nothing here for me and my mum anymore (and the weathers so bad here!!) My other option would be to study in America for a year through a University in Scotland.

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      The thing is, if you want to move to America, you should have a job to go to first. Because if you don't have a sponsor and you overstayed, you and your mother will end up illegal. To be illegal in another country, employers will take advantage of your situation in sense of paying you the lowest salary as possible, giving you more hours to work and not just that, if you are renting house they can take advantage on that as well they will over charge you for the rent.
      Why not consider exploring Europe first before aiming to head to America? As a Scottish you are pretty much free to explore, work and live in any part of Europe. Think it over carefully before making a big decision. Good luck!
      Last edited by Madame Jane; 24-10-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      So much things to consider ahh! hahaha. Thankyou so much for your help! you've definitely given me things to think about so thankyou very much for taking the time to reply:)

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by shannoon View Post
      So much things to consider ahh! hahaha. Thankyou so much for your help! you've definitely given me things to think about so thankyou very much for taking the time to reply:)
      You're most welcome! Now don't stress your Mum.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      I have lived in Canada and I know even back then America was hard to get in to, now in Australia but would love to go to America. Been on holidays but it's just not the same is it.
      Madame Jane likes this.