Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Sjjen is on a distinguished road

Cool Can we move to SF on 55k per annum?

Hi, I know there are many similar posts but I wanted to ask separately in order to set out our particular circumstances.

Having spent 3 months in SF my husband has been offered a PostDoc position at Stanford. We know we love the area and lifestyle and would love to take this opportunity but we are not sure it would be feasible on the salary being offered, 55k. There are just the two of us so I have the following questions.

1. Could we live a relatively nice lifestyle on this? We'd need a car if not living too close to campus. We aren't looking for a lifestyle that is fancy but occasional meals out, cinema and perhaps an infrequent weekend away.

2. How much would we expect to pay for rent, we'd like at least a one bed (not a studio) and where would be the best places to live? We have stayed in Palo Alto over the summer but do not think this will be likely as the costs are so high there. As a young couple we'd like to be near some bars/food places and so on. Also can anyone recommend where to look to find accommodation? I've looked at Craigslist, but I never really trust those sorts of websites and would rather look somewhere reputable.

3. How much would he expect to be bringing home per month after tax?

4. Would it be likely that I could find work? I am British, with a BA and MA degree. If we thought it likely I would be able to work also we would be far more likely to take the risk.

Thanks for any advice you can give

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ditzzeechick is on a distinguished road
      55K GBP or US$? SF is very expensive, one bedroom on the low side will be at least $3K/month. I'd feel safer stating $3500 outside of the city. There is BART for travel but as you know, we don't have public transport similar to the UK, you will probably need a car and insurance. This sounds like a great opportunity for your husband. Is Stanford willing to subsidize your housing cost or offer housing? Do a lot of research before you make a move, California is facing many challenges right now and those cost are passed onto the citizens in the state. Unlike the UK we don't provide yearly funds back to the citizen for each child, to assist with housing and medical care is very expensive. Would you have healthcare thru his employer? Investigate, living in CA without funds to manage your life will not make for a happy existence.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Sjjen is on a distinguished road
      Hi thanks for reply, the salary is USD. We are thinking hard, the problem is it is just such a great opportunity career wise but the wage makes it seem unfeasible. I would be on a J2 which I am told would allow me to work but I do not know how soon I would find something. Healthcare is provided by his employer.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      ditzzeechick is on a distinguished road
      If you can make it work financially it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. You might want to check in with the University, they should have someone who can provide guidance on housing. If not the U, try a real estate agent in the area, it costs nothing to gather information and they'll view you as a future client. I'd love to move to your part of the world but the costs/taxes to change countries is daunting. GOOD LUCK!!!