Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Results 1 to 2 of 2
    1. #1
      NYC

      Huh? Confused about emigrating from UK to USA. Help please!

      Hi everyone!

      I am a UK citizen whom is in a serious relationship with a US citizen.
      I am looking to move to the US and get married so i can be with my partner. The monthly flights to the USA are killing me and i don't do Long Distance Relationships well.

      My questions are these please:

      1) If i move to the US and become a US resident under the Fiancee Visa system, do i still have to pay UK Tax on a UK Trust Fund?

      2) If i don't intend to work in the USA for the first few years (i have young kids and home educate) will i pay US tax on any earnings from the UK?

      3) I noticed that on the K1 forms it states that i have to give evidence of all vaccinations my kids have had. They haven't had any!!! Does this mean the US will make me vaccinate them upon entry into the USA?

      4) How long is the process please? I have to also go to Court to get permission for my kids to leave the UK. Their father is never going to give me personal permission.

      Anything else i need to know in advance? :idea:

      Thanks for your time. I am very grateful.

      The things we do for love :-S

      :)

    2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
    3. #2
      purple
      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post

      My questions are these please:

      1) If i move to the US and become a US resident under the Fiancee Visa system, do i still have to pay UK Tax on a UK Trust Fund?
      The US isn't a tax haven. You really need to take financial advice from an accountant based on full information and circumstances.

      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
      2) If i don't intend to work in the USA for the first few years (i have young kids and home educate) will i pay US tax on any earnings from the UK?
      Isn't question 2's answer covered by question 1?

      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
      3) I noticed that on the K1 forms it states that i have to give evidence of all vaccinations my kids have had. They haven't had any!!! Does this mean the US will make me vaccinate them upon entry into the USA?
      They'll make you comply with the vaccination regulations for immigrants. If they haven't been vaccinated, as immigrants they'll be required to comply even if it's not straight away, at least when you file for permanent residency.

      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
      4) How long is the process please? I have to also go to Court to get permission for my kids to leave the UK. Their father is never going to give me personal permission.
      With respect, that will kind of depend on how long it takes to get court order for the children to leave. Assuming you want to take the kids and won't go without them, there's not much point in filing for a K-1 if there's no court date set or a ruling made. Between 6 to 8 months from the date of the initial filing is possible, but could vary a bit. Don't count on being here until much before mid 2010 at the earliest and you won't be too disappointed.

      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
      Anything else i need to know in advance?
      What am I a mindreader? Seriously, anything you can think of just ask, and I'm sure that someone will do their best to answer it


      Quote Originally Posted by NYC View Post
      The things we do for love :-S
      and money! :twitcy: