Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Thread: E-2 Visa

cam

E-2 Visa

Hi All,

I and my wife are looking to move to Bradenton along with our son. We are looking into either buying a child day care or a janitorial company in this area.
      Has anyone got any advice on the above businesses or the E-2 process?

Many thanks.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      purple
      Hi Cam,

Exactly what advice are you wanting specifically?

What I can tell you is that the "E Visa" is a non-immigrant visa and is not designed to lead to either a greencard or US Citizenship. According to E visa conditions you can only remain in the US as long as your business conforms to E visa regulations (that's assuming you maintain proper visa and immigration status).
      Also the funds must be "irrevocably committed" to the investment before the visa may be issued, so you need to get the documentation correct and show the investment meets the criteria at the time of your initial application for the visa.
      The "funds" can be considered to be irrevocably committed if they are held in an escrow account that is solely contingent on the issuance of the visa, and to most people that invest like this its the safest way to go, just in case you sink the money in and the visa is denied for some reason.
      The enterprise must also be “real and active” which means it must be actively trading at the time of your application.
      You may have already known all that.

As for your son, be aware that once he reaches age 21 he won't be covered by your E visa and will have to file his own application to reside here. Of course, it may be that he'll marry a US citizen by then. The reason I'm saying this is because I know someone here on the same visa that is currently having problems with their daughters college fees because of their E visa status (even though they have been here 12 years) and are already anticipating problems for her when she reaches 21.

As for advice on daycare or janitorial businesses? I have no personal knowledge in that particular field of work, but I'm sure plenty of people here do.

There will be State licences and insurance required for in any business you buy in FL. If you're buying a legit business there should be no problem working out the terms with the existing owner that makes sure they inform you what you will need and then help you obtain all the necessary paperwork in a transiton period before you start to run things on your own.

If you can be a little more specific on what else you'd like to know or what advice you need hopefully someone here will help you out.

Check out http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis
      Last edited by purple; 11-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      grahamy is on a distinguished road
      Hi Cam

Started my own Vacation rental company in 2016, here in central Florida. 'Purple' has given you the USCIS site, read carefully.
      If you need any specific advice let me know. Have completed both the ' change of status to E-2 Status - E-2 Status extension and recently Applied and received my E-2 visa from the US Embassy in London.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      grahamy is on a distinguished road
      Appreciate the lead was 10 years ago, but my experience is current for May 2019