Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Taylor

Emigrating on a Family Based Visa - Quick question

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into this for a while now and I just have a quick question that I'd see if anyone has any info on.

I've just turned 30 and have finally decided to move to California to be with my dad. The only problem is that I've been with my girlfriend for 5 years now and wouldn't want to go without her. Neither of us are ready to get married yet but I'm wondering if it's possible for both of us to emigrate unless we do? If anyone is able to point me in the right direction where I can get more info about this I would really appreciate it. Also, we'll be looking to make friends out there so if there are any brits living around the San Jose area that would be interested in meeting up in the future please get in touch :-)

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by Taylor; 03-01-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: I named the wrong type of VISA in the title - Apologies.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Hi and welcome to Brits-Abroad.

Maybe woth trolling thro the Brits in the USA threads i'm sure iv'e come across this question before.

Septicbrit
      Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
      Hi everyone,

I've been looking into this for a while now and I just have a quick question that I'd see if anyone has any info on.

I've just turned 30 and have finally decided to move to California to be with my dad. The only problem is that I've been with my girlfriend for 5 years now and wouldn't want to go without her. Neither of us are ready to get married yet but I'm wondering if it's possible for both of us to emigrate unless we do? If anyone is able to point me in the right direction where I can get more info about this I would really appreciate it. Also, we'll be looking to make friends out there so if there are any brits living around the San Jose area that would be interested in meeting up in the future please get in touch :-)

Thanks in advance
      You don't say how you are emigrating. And yes, that's important to answer your question.

If you are a USC, you can sponsor your gf if you marry her.
      If your father is a PR and sponsoring you, marriage to your GF will kill your petition stone dead. And after that long wait, this could be disheartening.
      If.....

You also don't mention anything about the gf's skills, finances or other attributes that may provide an independent path for her.
      If she has a PhD in a nanotechnology or runs a successful UK company and is looking to expand into the US, I see no issue for her independent route.
      If she has 2 GCSEs and work at the checkout in ASDA, she either comes on your ticket or it's not going to happen.
      If....

So it's not surprising nobody's answering your question really, is it?