Like Tree3Likes

Thread: family possibly thinking of moving to the USA

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Florida Redhead is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Smogmonster1973 View Post
      .......so maybe Florida would be the ideal choice. Imsure i would get a job as Mickey Mouse!
      Don't be too sure!
      Mickey Mouse is laying off hundreds, as are the other Theme Parks.
      Many of their jobs are part-time and go to seniors and retired veterans.
      They also employ many students during the holidays.

Quote from Orlando Sentinel:
      "The Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday said it would eliminate an undisclosed number of jobs as part of a sweeping corporate overhaul at its domestic resorts, which includes plans to combine back-office operations at Walt Disney World and Disneyland.
      Disney would not say how many jobs it intends to cut or how much money it expects to save through the moves. The company employs about 80,000 people at its U.S. resorts, including 62,000 in Central Florida."

Add to that the many who have lost their jobs in real estate, timeshare, tourism....Americans who were born here are finding it very hard to find work.
      There was an ex-CEO on TV News yesterday, he lost his job and his home and is now a pizza delivery man......times are hard.....

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      169 times
      Rep
      purple is on a distinguished road
      Not to mention the hundreds of thousands that habe lost jobs in construction and construction related industries.
      With unemployment running near 10%, now is definately NOT a good time to be thinking of moving to FL.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Dreamcatcher1 is on a distinguished road
      Thanks for your responses, we do understand how hard things are for the American's now as much as they are here in Britain. It is sad to see our countries have ended up this way but everything goes full circle and if we can ride the storm we will eventually see the good times return.

Even though we have to remain in England for the foreseeable future we will continue to come to America each year to spend as much tume as we can in a country we love.

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
      Hi everyone

i might of found a way to get onto the states just by purchasing a small buisness
      and applying for a e2 visa anyone have any tips???????
      There are a lot of criteria and you need to be very cautious.
      I used to work for a British Business Broker, and have helped some Brits buy Businesses.

As I always say, everybody has a different story, but from my experience this will only work if:
      The seller of the Business you are thinking of buying can prove 3 years of good tax returns,
      showing that it is a profitable business.
      The Business employs, or will employ, at least one American.
      The Buyer puts at least $200,000 at-risk investment in the business.
      The Seller is prepared to put a condition in the contract that the Sale will not complete unless the Buyer is approved for an E-2 Visa.

Don't forget....NOBODY can promise you, or get you, an E-2 Visa.....
      Don't believe anyone who says "this business will qualify for an E-2 Visa".
      YOU are the one who has to apply, you are the only one who can get it.

PLEASE see a reputable immigration Attorney.
      Get a referral from a Brit who has already been successful.
      The days when you could buy a house and set yourself up as a lawn-and-pool business, or a Property Manager, are gone.

If you are thinking of Florida, I can maybe put you in touch with British ex-pat Business owners
      who have been through this process and have made it. I will have to ask them.

A sobering thought.....this link below shows just one of the many scams where British couples were promised an E-2
      by a fellow Brit.
      This one I am familiar with, because on of the victims asked for my help. Sadly it was too late.

The perpetrator is in a Federal penitentiary, and will be deported upon release:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lifestyle.html
      Last edited by Florida Redhead; 22-03-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Big Wolls is on a distinguished road
      Hi Jim - I know exactly what yu mean - my wife and I also have had so many great times in USA on hols and made some super friends amongst the Yanks - they are a great people - we also would like some advice on buying and residing there - we are both retired but could easily afford an average home in the States, and could live well within our means due - as yu say - to the excellent cost of living there. As it stands it seems I could only enter on a 90 day visa, and dont fancy doing that over and over again....so am trying to find a way where we could stop at least 6 months at a time. If I find anything of interest will pass it on. Big Wolls..

Title
      Liked
      14 times
      Rep
      traveller is on a distinguished road
      Hi Big Wolls,

Have you looked at the B-2 Visa? Might be an option that would allow you to stay longer.

B-2 Tourist Visa

Visitor Visas
      Big Wolls likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Good advice - we will follow that up - many thanks :yes:

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Yes, as Traveller says, the B-2 is for those who want to stay longer than 90 days. It is usually for no more than 6 months, but can be extended to a year.
      I think the biggest obstacle may be health insurance while you are here.

This is from the USCIS website:
      "Persons wishing to come to the United States for pleasure travel and tourism, such as to visit family or friends, or for medical treatment must obtain a B-2 visa. These temporary visitors must demonstrate that the purpose of their trip is for pleasure or medical treatment; they plan
      to remain for a specific, limited period; they have sufficient funds to cover expenses in the United States; and they have compelling social and economic ties abroad, including a residence outside the United States."

Another quote with statistics:
      "The United Kingdom, Mexico, Japan, Germany, and France were the countries of origin for over half of the nonimmigrants visiting the United States in 2004. Almost 5 million nonimmigrants (16 percent of all nonimmigrants) were citizens of the United Kingdom."

It's a great time to buy a house here, but owning a home does not give you the right to live here.
      Many thousands of British and Europeans own vacation homes in Florida, and rent them out when they are not using them.
      There are certain Counties in FL which do not allow short-term rentals.

Here is a Company which sells homes mostly to British people, and allows owners to advertise their homes for rent. They also arrange British mortgages on the homes, and have some useful links on the site:

Florida Property | Orlando Property | Florida Mortgages

Disclaimer: I am not associated with this Company, however I worked for them in 2003/4, and I know them to be reputable and helpful.
      Big Wolls likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      This is so useful - thank you for the info - we did realise that there are no residential rights conferred on purchasing a home in USA but would be very happy with the 6 month limitation etc. We will pursue this further over the next few months. many thanks again........ Big Wolls

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
      hi traveller

thanks for your words of experiance ref getting into the usa will have to keep your
      positive attitude and make some contacts when we come over in the new year
      hope u find work soon and congrats in making the move life seems to be like the good old days in england when iam in the usa so lets hope i can achive my dream soon?
      JIm herewith some info...
      Yes, as Traveller says, the B-2 is for those who want to stay longer than 90 days. It is usually for no more than 6 months, but can be extended to a year.
      I think the biggest obstacle may be health insurance while you are here.

This is from the USCIS website:
      "Persons wishing to come to the United States for pleasure travel and tourism, such as to visit family or friends, or for medical treatment must obtain a B-2 visa. These temporary visitors must demonstrate that the purpose of their trip is for pleasure or medical treatment; they plan
      to remain for a specific, limited period; they have sufficient funds to cover expenses in the United States; and they have compelling social and economic ties abroad, including a residence outside the United States."

Another quote with statistics:
      "The United Kingdom, Mexico, Japan, Germany, and France were the countries of origin for over half of the nonimmigrants visiting the United States in 2004. Almost 5 million nonimmigrants (16 percent of all nonimmigrants) were citizens of the United Kingdom."

It's a great time to buy a house here, but owning a home does not give you the right to live here.
      Many thousands of British and Europeans own vacation homes in Florida, and rent them out when they are not using them.
      There are certain Counties in FL which do not allow short-term rentals.

Here is a Company which sells homes mostly to British people, and allows owners to advertise their homes for rent. They also arrange British mortgages on the homes, and have some useful links on the site:

Florida Property | Orlando Property | Florida Mortgages

Disclaimer: I am not associated with this Company, however I worked for them in 2003/4, and I know them to be reputable and helpful.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123