Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      JACK is on a distinguished road

haven't a clue about moving to the US!

hi,
      im 32 years old and have been in the same job for 15 years and am now very much ready for a new challenge. have absolutly no ties to the uk really now, so think moving far away is the right course. The US is top of my list with Canada a close second. im leaning toward california or Colorado for the US, im not sure if it is harder to move to certain states than others.
      I have been trying to do a bit of research about the hoops to jump through but seem to go round in circles a lot. not really sure what I need to do first. im not in a well paid job and have very little savings, so that is another worry of mine, how much capital will I need?
      I have so much stuff I need to know and don't want to right a essay on here and bore people, but on the other hand am very excited about the prospect and can't wait to get cracking!!! really hope there is someone out there whose brains I could pic, thanks in advance!!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      hlvillaire is on a distinguished road
      My husband is from Liverpool and I'm from Los Angeles. He came here to marry me, and the immigration process has been... well... tiring. The biggest things besides the weather that he's noticed are the spike in prices here in California and a severe lack of public transportation and pubs. As far as capital, so far we've paid around $4,000 in fees as they've come in, though not all at once (he was living off a meagre savings at the time and I didn't even make minimum wage though, so it's doable. although you have to be able to prove you won't become a ward of the state, have a legal reason to be moving such as a job or a marriage, and have a clean record). All states are looked at the same in terms of immigrating, but there's a LOT of intricate paperwork involved and we are still waiting on his green card two years later. He has a work authorization but it's hard for him to leave the country right now without it, or fly anywhere really. Be warned, the homesickness sets in and is real, and the task is not easy. But if you really want it and you can meet the legal requirements, go for it!