Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Cpuett is on a distinguished road

Help with moving to the USA with an American spouse

Hello! I am new to this forum and looking for some help and or advice please.
      I am now married to my American husband who lives here in the UK but still has full US citizenship. He has decided that he wants to move back and live out there and I want go with him. I have searched online and I am getting very confused as to what we need to do so that I can go and live out there on a permanent basis. Has anyone else been in or going through this situation that can help shed some light please? Any advice or information would be much appreciated!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Plasticbag is on a distinguished road
      If you apply for a spouse visa you should have no problems, yo could also just fly over with him and stay. Have you ever visited the USA with him ? If so just do it again.
      I came here with my then girlfriend, I stayed and we got married, it took 18 months to get my green card. I was told by an immigration lawyer to not attempt to leave the USA. At my INS interview the officer told me it made no difference how long I overstayed, they could see I was no threat, he alsotold me that immigration lawyers are a waste of time if you are English or Irish, unless you fail the background check, you will be granted residency.
      Last edited by Plasticbag; 10-08-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Dave2726 is on a distinguished road
      Don't follow Plasticbag's advice as to do so constitutes wilful misrepresentation of your intentions to a US government official. Entering the US on the VWP or otherwise as a visitor with the intention of staying is illegal and could forfeit your ability to obtain future immigration benefits including US citizenship. Adjusting status as a visitor is not allowed. Some have been successful but at incredible personal risk.

In your circumstances it would not be difficult or risky to follow the rules and have your USC sponsor file an I130 petition on your behalf whilst you remain in the UK. You can then follow the lawful route of obtaining a CR-1 visa via the US embassy in London. This would take 8-10 months and result in you legally obtaining permanent residency on entry to the US. No lies, no risk. You would have to apply to remove conditions after 2 years residence in the US and 1 year later you could apply for US citizenship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk