Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree3Likes
    • 3 Post By Lakemarymum

Thread: How can I watch UK telly abroad in USA?

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      bbflboy is on a distinguished road

How can I watch UK telly abroad in USA?

Hello all, I am a newbie and about to land in the US

I'm trying to find a way to watch UK television whilst living in the States. I have found many nasty looking websites with poor picture quality which seem to be illegal to me so I want to avoid using any websites at all to be frank. I am wondering if there are any dedicated services via satellite or the internet that anyone can recommend that offer a good picture quality? I don't want to use VPNs as I am five hours behind GMT so by the time I watch TV at night, it is the graveyard shift on UK TV. Ideally, i want to be able to record or pause live tv using a freeview or sky box.

I have heard about Sling boxes but don't know how you set these up and seeing I don't have a base in the UK to do this, it's not really an option. Any advice?

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      455 times
      Rep
      yummybrummy is on a distinguished road
      Hi and welcome. Our Mod Purple who's based in the States should hopefully be answering and give you all the advice you need. Good luck with the move.

In the meantime feel free to join us in the forum.
      Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

Lakemarymum
      Hi we've been living in US for nearly a year now and we rarely watch American tv we used to live in Texas and the thought of returning back to us was great apart from the thought of the TV being terrible.
      I found a thing called identity cloaker www.identitycloaker.com this was the answer to my prayers it basically fools your computer into thinking it's based in the UK so you can watch all your favorite stuff through BBC iplayer and itv player it costs around $70 a year but there is a free 10 trial to start.
      We have one small laptop plugged into our big 50" tv and we don't lose any quality on the picture. Smart tvs also have a way to have it go through them rather than the laptop.
      There are a few companies that claim to get British tv but they are very expensive, and you have to buy their hardware as well.
      Because of the time difference it works perfect so when you sit down to watch your favorite soap in the US it's already been on 5 hrs before so it's ready to be played on iplayer. You can watch any of the stations itv 1,2,3, all the BBC channels channel 4, 5 on the BBC site you can even watch live but because it's 5 hours in front when you sit to watch it it's normally the boring after mid night stuff.
      No one seems to know about this I just fell upon it but it works a treat. Hope this helps

Lakemarymum
      The iplayer stores all your programs for unto 30 days just like a dvr
      I ment to put that in

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      bbflboy is on a distinguished road
      I didn't know that iPlayer stored your shows for 30 day. I learned something new today. Thanks.