Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      adina

how hard is it really?

As the title say, how hard is it to get greencards? My family (myself and my partner and our 1 and 2 year old daughters) are considering making the move. This is because their are so many more job opportunities for my partner, and he would be earning alot more then he is at the moment. So from what I can gather he would need to find a job first and the employer would need to sponser him? How would he go about looking for that type of work? Neither of us have degrees although we both have some qualifications. Jobs at my partners level seem to be offering around $100k a year, im presuming this would be enough to support our family (san fransisco area)? Any advice would be hugely appreciated x

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi,

You don't say what you and your partner do?! I assume as you say partner you are not married!? $100K in the San Fran area would be tight as it's a very expensive area to live, especially with children as you would want to get an area with good schools which bumps up the prices of homes a lot! But it's probably not out of reach depending on your life style :)

Title
      Liked
      5 times
      Rep
      Christine Shaaban is on a distinguished road
      I know Pink is an expert for the US - so needless to say I agree.

$100k sounds a lot but isn't. There are a lot of things a lot more expensive than the UK. Groceries is one. Don;t forget that there is no NHS, so healthcare is another 'new' and very important expense.

You and your partner have a job in the UK? Stay put and count your blessings.
      Last edited by Christine Shaaban; 09-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Title
      Liked
      5 times
      Rep
      taurus23uk is on a distinguished road
      as above the San Francisco area is VERY expensive. Probably the most expensive part of the entire country (along with New York).

I would agree though you should do whatever is necessary to get out of the UK, i am from the UK and moved out here 6 years ago. Best decision of my life.

there are other options like buying a business (or part of one) it is what i did but obviously requires you having some capital to do this.