Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Ollie87 is on a distinguished road

Is it just a dream?

Hello all
      New to the forum and looking for advise and inspiration!
      I have been to the states many times on holiday (mainly Florida) and have always loved it! My parents have a time share there so been a few places
      I am at a point in my life were a change might be needed for me and my partner! And I have always had a dream to live abroad
      I'm 28 and a self employed bricklayer/ builder and my partner is 27 and a hairstylist manager ( o and Harley our begal and smokey our cat)
      We own are own house with a decent amount of equity in it a few motors and posseions probably totaling 200k+ to move over there with

My first questions would be for aa builder looking for work would Florida be appropriate and also could my partner make a business with her experience as a British styleist?
      (As I've heard the standard over here is higher)

I intended to do things properly if I was to go ahead so please no comments saying its harder than you think or I would really consider things
      I appreciate the help but I have the means and know-how to be successful but understand the difference between a dream and reality
      It would be a long drawn out process with the right decisions made for my family!

Thanks for any help
      Ollie

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Plasticbag is on a distinguished road
      Hello, Many years ago I made the big mistake of falling in love with the USA after a few holidays and dreamed of coming here to live, eventually I met my now wife, moved here and married her, I wouldn't have it any other way because I adore her and we have a young daughter but ...... And a very big but, living in the USA is no holiday, it's tough, taxes are extortionate, although you don't notice it in your pay check, you are taxed for everything ad get nothing in return, our town taxes are twice as much as the mortgage. Health care is a joke, if you are lucky enough to have company health insurance and you get some serious problem which stops you working you will loose the cover after 6 weeks and have huge medical bills, this is how people go bankrupt and loose everything they own.
      Not trying to put you off, just telling you the truth.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      katzgar is on a distinguished road
      it is true vacationing in a place and moving there are 2 different things. income taxes are much lower in the US than Britain is known to have one of the highest tax loads in the world. saying you dont get anything for it is obviously incorrect. While health care isnt as comprehensive as it is in the UK saying it is a joke again is just plain incorrect. About a third of brit expats return home worldwide just not from the US. Some people move here for a few years and go home and some stay for life, you can do it either way. The US embassy would probably be the best place to start. there arent a lot of bricks in florida what with the hurricanes but this site is the biggest. in many areas they are union but you could free lancs...maybe.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=bricklayer%2C+fl&l=
      Country Single no Kids Married 2 Kids
      United Kingdom 33.5% 27.1%
      United States 29.1% 11.9%

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I am not trying to put the guy off, just pointing out a few facts, I am not sure where you live but where we live taxes are extortionate and we get nothing for them, we even have to pay $50.00 a month extra to get the bin emptied.
      People who come to this great nation need to know that it's no holiday.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      katzgar is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Plasticbag View Post
      I am not trying to put the guy off, just pointing out a few facts, I am not sure where you live but where we live taxes are extortionate and we get nothing for them, we even have to pay $50.00 a month extra to get the bin emptied.
      People who come to this great nation need to know that it's no holiday.
      Does it matter where you live to see you get nothing for taxes is obviously absurd

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Taxes vary state to state, town to town, we have worked out that we can cut our taxes by 40% just by moving out of this little town when I retire. I see nothing coming back from the high taxes we pay, when the sewers blocked a few months back we were told if we wanted them cleared (although it was a main sewer problem) we would be required to pay, there is no garbage collection so we have to pay a private company to collect it. The only visual thing we see from the taxes are the police speed traps set up to get even more revenue. Our taxes are paid in escrow and are more than double the actual mortgage payment, then we get an annual water tax bill, the latest was over $1500 yet not one person has looked at the water meter in 10 years, the explanation given is that they read it as the drive by, which I very much doubt as the meter must be at east 25 years old and is buried deep in our basement LOL.
      The whole point of my post was to let the OP know that coming here to live is not a bowl of cherries, that life can be a struggle for most, I know a few who have given up and gone back. I myself am getting near retirement and showing signs of medical problems, anything serious would mean going back to the UK to get attention without ridiculous, over the top medical bills which would not be covered by insurance. My wife has a condition which requires a transfusion every month, our insurance company suddenly decided they would not cover the treatments anymore, so basically 'Go away and die' luckily I am employed by a good company, although very large and nationwide, I actually am of speaking terms with the CEO who put things right and put the insurance company in their place.
      Just the fact that the OP has great holidays when they come here should not make him think that the country as a whole is the amazing place he thinks it is.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Also ...... Even McDonalds have closed in our town sue to high taxes LOL.
      We pay Federal tax, State tax, County tax, Town tax and village tax LOL.