Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Talltimpw

Living in New York

HI Guys, I got a chance to live and work (I'm dual national) in New York for a few months.
      Anyone else lived in NYC for a time?
      Any tips on living in the city?
      Cheers,
      Tim

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979
      Andy Chapman
      Hi Tim and welcome to the forum.

As far as i know we have no-one here who lives in New York City but if you
      hang around you may get an answer from some of our American members.

Hope
      Wow - I love NYC!! Go for it! What an opportunity!

A very good (Scottish!) friend of mine lives upstate NY (40min train ride from Grand Central) and I have visited her a few times. To be honest, I was a bit daunted at first when I went into town (on my own)... but there's such a buzz about the place - I absolutely loved it! Have you visited before?

New Yorkers are certainly a breed on their own (!).. you need to keep your wits about you (to an extent) but I have to say I have not got one negative word to say about the place.

Do you know the area you may be staying?

~Hope

Talltimpw
      Hi, well I have use of an apartment on West End Av. Very lucky!
      I shall be by myself so I'll probably join as many clubs and societies as poss. Might get some bar work too although I'd rather get a fun full time job; it's gonna be expensive no doubt!

Hope
      West End Ave - cool! (Lucky you!) Can I have your friends email addy please! lol!

Re. expensive.. as you'll probably know, it's so much cheaper in the USA for many things; clothes, eating out etc.. It's the extras that can easily mount up eg.cab fares!

You'll get to know the decent, more reasonably priced areas, no doubt!

~ Hope

purple
      Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
      Re. expensive.. as you'll probably know, it's so much cheaper in the USA for many things; clothes, eating out etc.. It's the extras that can easily mount up eg.cab fares!
      Did you forget Health Insurance? :)

Talltimpw
      I don't get ill.
      Wel, aint done in 37 years.
      Other than flu.
      :-)
      Ta for your down to earth **** though.

lisaannstone
      Hi,
      sorry, no advice here either, but would like a few pointers myself. I recently got a job at NYU Medical Department and visas permitting will be starting in May. I am on a waiting list for Uni accommodation but there is no guarantee. Any good places I can look for somewhere that is OK by proxy, ie over the internet and not seeing or meeting people in person. Also, since most apartments are unfurnished any good tips on being able to get good cheap stuff as soon as I get off the plane :o)))
      Lisa

Hope
      Quote Originally Posted by purple View Post
      Did you forget Health Insurance? :)

hehe..
      Of course I know about that - but would assume that TT would get a job with insurance cover included, right TT?!

Hmm.. I thought more people would have something to say on the advice front for you - but oh well.. I'm sure you'll have an absoluite blast!

~ Hope

Hope
      Quote Originally Posted by lisaannstone View Post
      Hi,
      sorry, no advice here either, but would like a few pointers myself. I recently got a job at NYU Medical Department and visas permitting will be starting in May. I am on a waiting list for Uni accommodation but there is no guarantee. Any good places I can look for somewhere that is OK by proxy, ie over the internet and not seeing or meeting people in person. Also, since most apartments are unfurnished any good tips on being able to get good cheap stuff as soon as I get off the plane :o)))
      Lisa

Welcome & Wow!
      I know it's fairly common to house-share.. try having a look at Craigslist..? It's huge over there for all sorts (oo-er! ) but also for accommodation - just a wee suggestion :o)

I hope all works out for you!

~ Hope

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast