Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      rachel3712 is on a distinguished road

looking to move to be with boyfriend

I am currently on a c1d visa due to my employment with a cruise line. i am due to finish my last contract in june 2016. after this i plan on moving to orlando to look for work and to settle down there with my boyfriend (who is american citizen). I was also looking into going to real estate school over there, but i am confused about visa etc and what i will need to be able to go and search for a job out there whilst i am home in the uk.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Dave2726 is on a distinguished road
      Visa wise, you should look into K1 and CR-1.

The K1 is a visa that allows the beneficiary (you) to come to the US and get married; ie you would be his fiancé at the point in time you applied for it. The only stipulation is that you must marry within 90 days of arriving and file for adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. Whilst you are within the 90 days and not married, you would need to apply for employment authorisation (EAD).

The CR-1 is for the married spouse of a US citizen. You would have to get married first before you would eligible for the visa. On entering the US with a valid CR-1, you would immediately become a permanent resident (green card holder - although this would arrive later via mail). With the CR-1, you can work immediately but your status is conditional on you still being married two years later. So you have to apply to remove the conditions two years later.

Both paths require that you obtain the visa whilst outside of the US and can take several months to process. There are more detailed requirements on USCIS and US Embassy London website.

Beware that some people may advise you to travel to the US as a tourist or using your C1d and then adjust status. To follow such advice would constitute visa fraud and, if caught, means at least a 10 year ban and likely permanent ineligibility for further immigration benefits including citizenship. Don't want to scare you but I've seen a few people recommend breaking the law in this way before on this forum.

Unfortunately, both the legal routes require marriage, either beforehand or soon after arrival. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      rachel3712 is on a distinguished road
      do you happen to know if a real estate school would qualify for me obtaining a student visa?

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Dave2726 is on a distinguished road
      Have a look at this link under the student section:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If the real estate school is accredited and you have the required cash savings to support your studies, then it may be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Plasticbag is on a distinguished road
      My Nephew worked for a cruise line just like you and also met his now wife when on board ship. He married her in Florida, they wanted to live in the UK but on arrival she was given only two weeks before being deported, he stayed in the UK to get settled and have a good income before she could return, it took a year of separation. They couldn't make it in Britain and eventually moved back to Florida where he is now quite a successful real estate agent