Thread: Moving to Boston and need advice on the moving process

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      annamarija33 is on a distinguished road

Moving to Boston and need advice on the moving process

Hello!

I'm about to move with my husband to Boston (he is already there) and am looking in to removal quotes and insurances for moving our things from our apartment in London to Boston, MA. I've searched around a bit and seen that it is not advisable to do the insurance with the actual moving company, but with a separate one.

The removal companies I have so far received quotes (including packaging) from are:
      MoveCorp.co.uk
      PSS International removal
      Anglo Pacific International

The insurance companies I have so far found are:
      Insure-your-move.com
      Lloyds via Kiln Regional Underwriting - through Letton Percival

Does anyone have any experience with the following companies? Is there anything specific to think of and are there any do's and don't's in regards this this?

Any help or comments is very appreciated!

Anna

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi Anna,

I assume as it's a relocation your husband's company are paying

We had several quote and went with GB Liners in the end. We were very pleased with them and it went as smooth as could be. We used there insurance, never heard about using different companies, we did have to claim for a damaged ladder and they were superb as they gave us the money for the cost of replacing it in the US which turned out to cost a lot more than replacing it in the UK! So make sure that the insurance covers the difference in price. Make sure you research which company they will use in the US. Also make sure you know what you can and can't ship in a container e.g. you can't ship alcohol including perfumes as a normal item, outdoor items need to be cleaned very well, including bikes.

I assume you will know about most electrical things not working in the US due to the different voltage?!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi Pink,

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, the company is paying most of the move (not customs) but we are aware of keeping costs down as my husband is the co-founder and the company is a young start-up :)

Thank you for recommending GB Liners, I've just emailed them for a quote and we'll see where they stand compared to the others. So, when it comes to them, I'm assuming since you did your research - they use a good company in the US?

Yes, there is a lot to go through here on this end, deciding what to take and not to take but we are not taking everything we own (bought a lot of furniture already in Goodwill & Salvation Army) but limiting ourselves to a 1/4 of a container which I think will mostly be taken up by the husband's electronics and my sewing boxes.
      We are also aware of the different voltage and might buy a transformer for my sewing machines (not sure yet if I can justify buying new ones over there...) but other than that, we will leave all electronics and get new ones in Boston.

Must say, one thing I am very excited about (it's the small things...) is that the Vitamixes are much cheaper in the US than in the UK and that I can finally get one! :)

How easy was it for you to claim for the ladder? How much did you bring in the move and did they do all the packing of items for you? How long ago did you move over?

Can I ask as well, what kind of Visa do you have? I've got a H4 and will soon have to think about what to occupy myself with over there (too busy now with work and packing) and will need to look in to what I am allowed to do...

Many thanks!

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      LOL at the Vitamixes! I keep eying up Kitchenaid's, but I am waiting till we have our green cards.

As for GB Liners, we found them great, we couldn't find any bad reviews of them. They were really professional, very informative and also price matched our cheapest quotes. We actually had a full 20ft container, our only regret was not going to a bigger container and bringing everything (we have had (still have!) a 6 bedroom house in the UK so had a lot ;) As for the claim it was really simple, we filled out a claim form, emailed it back to them with examples of how much it was to replace the ladders, they gave us the money, I am sure they gave us the option of how we wanted it and I think we opted for bank deposit.

I am on an H4 visa too :) My husband is on an H1B and the kids have H4's too. TBH I don't find it a problem entertaining myself, I do lots of voluntary work, as my husband says I could make a full time job out of it ;)

When do you move? If it's before the end of June and you fancy 'popping down' to New York, let me know as we are going there for a holiday and we could meet up ;) Or if you are ever in Orlando let me know ;)

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      PSS have an excellent reputation from people moving to Australia drop Liam an email and tell him Kate says he has to do you a good rate liam@p-s-s.co.uk he is one of the directors.
      Also Insure Your Move are the best people to go with for your insurance.

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Pink, that is a lot of things to ship! It's different with us though as so far, it's only the two of us (will most likely start (try) having children in Boston) and we are moving out of a 2bed in to a 2bed. I also think it's a great opportunity to de-clutter our lives so am trying to get rid of everything we haven't used for a while (or never)!
      I have received a ballpark figure from GB Liners which is a bit more than everyone else but have requested a formal quote as well.

Am happy though that at least two of the removals companies I have approached and gotten quotes from have positive feedback - will hopefully make things easier! Will email Liam as well to see what he says - thank you Ktee!

In regards to the H4 visa - I think my main concern is that I will get bored going from a hectic full time job (investment fund) with regular exercising habits to nothing, no routines and a lot bigger portions that before. I do have my sewing projects and will look in to volunteering as well and will try to find a yoga studio quite soon so I get some routines put in place. We do have some friends nearby as well, in Connecticut, that I'm hoping I'll be able to come over and visit. They used to live in NY so our plan was originally to go down there, but they just moved away last month :(

I would like to go to NY again tho as it was a while since last - maybe we'd be able to meet up, I will keep it in the back of my mind when planning our holidays! :)
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      You will have to tell us how you go on Anna as there seems to be a lot moving to the States

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Hi Anna,

I hope your husband wasn't effected by the bombings yesterday

I thought I would get bored being on a H4, all the kids are at school, but tbh I haven't so far....in fact I wonder how I fit work in LOL. If you are planning a family it might be a good time as a baby will keep you occupied and will also lead to meeting lots of new people.

Title
      Liked
      7 times
      Rep
      Jonesclan is on a distinguished road
      Hi Anna! Also hoping that you husband is safe in Boston. As for moving companies, we moved from Shropshire 7 years ago and used Pickfords, which is actually called Allied over here and also used their insurance. They were great, nothing got broken and we filled a 20ft container. We also had to make sure all outdoor equipment was well cleaned too. We moved with 2 young children and love it here! We have finally got our green card and before we got it, I found plenty to keep me busy and still do, although I do substitute at my kids school now. Just make sure you get out and about and meet people, they are always looking for volunteers for non-profit companies, which you could do on this visa you are coming out on. Best of luck and enjoy!!

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Hi Anna
      Any news on your husband?
      Hugs
      k

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast