Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Moving to Boston and need advice on the moving process

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      annamarija33 is on a distinguished road
      Hi everyone,

My husband, work colleagues and everyone he knows are all good. All shocked by the bombings but we are lucky we don't know anyone who got affected. Very scary story and had to calm down lots of relatives yesterday morning when I woke up...
      There has been a lot of "are you sure you want to be moving to Boston with all this?" but it was the same talk after the underground and bus bombs in London and I figure it's not much you can do about it. No need to be scared about it as it's out of your hands.

Anyways, I am in the midst of sifting through quotes with removal companies and insurance companies and am starting to get quite overwhelmed with it all. The handover and completing everything at work + doing viewings of our apartment is proving to be quite a lot do to but will hopefully be able to get set with a removals company by the end of the week so that I can start with the moving things around for an easier packing day for the company. Can't wait to finish work as well now!

I have contacted Pickfords as well for a quote but in regards to P-S-S, i'm starting to have some reservations due to bad reviews online. I'm sure companies everywhere break things, but I have seen this website for example (http://www.pssinternationalremovalsreviews.com/), along with other comments on other forums about them. Might not go with them due to that...

Anyway - time to stop with moving details and get some work going!

I might send a message as well once I have decided on a company, but I (based on the legal aspect of the pss review website) will def go with an external insurance company!

Anna
      Aldo, Ktee and Pink like this.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by annamarija33 View Post
      Hi everyone,

My husband, work colleagues and everyone he knows are all good. All shocked by the bombings but we are lucky we don't know anyone who got affected. Very scary story and had to calm down lots of relatives yesterday morning when I woke up...
      There has been a lot of "are you sure you want to be moving to Boston with all this?" but it was the same talk after the underground and bus bombs in London and I figure it's not much you can do about it. No need to be scared about it as it's out of your hands.

Anyways, I am in the midst of sifting through quotes with removal companies and insurance companies and am starting to get quite overwhelmed with it all. The handover and completing everything at work + doing viewings of our apartment is proving to be quite a lot do to but will hopefully be able to get set with a removals company by the end of the week so that I can start with the moving things around for an easier packing day for the company. Can't wait to finish work as well now!

I have contacted Pickfords as well for a quote but in regards to P-S-S, i'm starting to have some reservations due to bad reviews online. I'm sure companies everywhere break things, but I have seen this website for example (http://www.pssinternationalremovalsreviews.com/), along with other comments on other forums about them. Might not go with them due to that...

Anyway - time to stop with moving details and get some work going!

I might send a message as well once I have decided on a company, but I (based on the legal aspect of the pss review website) will def go with an external insurance company!

Anna
      Anna I am so happy to hear this.
      I know what you mean about family but Boston is going to be one of the most secure areas to go after this and I can't see it happening again.
      In regards to removals I delete name and shame posts on a regular basis for removal companies and based on my experience PSS have always had the least complaints. Obviously you are always going to get a few unhappy customers, we used Crown and had lots of damage to furniture etc but I haven't felt the need to sing from the rooftops about it. Isn't it funny that as people if we had a great experience we are unlikely to sign up to a forum to sing their praises but if its something bad people can't wait to put their own take on things.
      One of the reasons I mentioned PSS to you was not only for the great things I have heard but also a report that was sent to me. I'm not permitted to share this report but they haven't said I can't share the email ;)
      Here it is below

"As part of our on-going risk management assessment we regularly review the ratio of reported claims on a country by country and remover by remover basis. This information is shared with Insurers for setting rates and is independently verified.

Whilst we are not able to define where the actual loss/damage may have occurred, ie. during the packing or unpacking process or during the actual shipment or during customs inspection or upon delivery, we have therefore only included in our statistics claims submitted for attritional damage (breakage, scratching, denting, water damage etc ) and/ or shortage.

The remover with the lowest ratio of claims reported for number of moves insured through ourselves was PSS Int (1:5) followed by Pickfords and White & Co.

Crown Relo and John Mason Int were next in our league table but there were two companies who had a ratio of one reported claim for every two moves! Unfortunately it would seem a number of PIO members have run into problems in other respects with these two companies and are regularly mentioned on some of the threads.

These figures are based on moves insured through ourselves for the period 1st May, 2012 through to 31st October, 2012. The actual amount being claimed has not been taken into consideration when compiling these figures as this would be misleading.

We are clearly stating to all PIO members that this is not a recommendation as to which remover they should use or not use as they should satisfy themselves that their chosen remover is capable of meeting their own specific requirements."

I just wish we had been privy to this information before choosing Crown. It looks like Pickfords are 2nd in the table which is still good.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      I am glad your husband is ok. Oddly a friend of ours had his sister panicking about him, Boston is 'only' 1300 miles away! It still amuses me how people assume the US is as small as Britain! We had the whole thing about London too, my husband was due to be on one of those tubes (Aldgate) but had travelled back up north to York for an open evening for our daughters school! He had lots of panicked calls from his coworkers as his boss failed to tell them he had booked the day off! We had never been so relieved! However it didn't put us off our trip to London with the girls the following week.

We had Pickfords as our second choice :) The only reason we didn't go with them was the price and the fact that they thought we only needed half a container!!!
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi again,

Thank you Ktee for sharing that information - I will reconsider this when going through all the quotes tonight & tomorrow. Yes, as you said - there were a lot of more bad reviews out there on PSS than good ones so it is hard to know what to believe. Are people really happy and just don't share information or are there just lots of people who have had bad experiences - as you say tho, it is probably the first option.
      Feels nice to know that PSS and Pickfords both have good reputation then - might get me closer to that removals completion!

Ktee, did you get this information in your line of work or was this in relations with the damages from Crown? I'm assuming this is an independent risk assessment made by an insurance company.

When it came to the quotes - did you have surveyors from the removals company coming out and measuring all your items beforehand? Is there anything specific to think of when it comes to the day of arranging everything to be packaged up? Our thoughts are to move everything we are shipping (as it's not the entire house) in to one room to make it easier on them, but perhaps that doesn't really matter to them.
      Did you have them pack everything up and did they use sensible packaging material?

Yes, I'm glad I was on skype with Rich when everything kicked off in Boston as it didn't make me worry about his safety. We are also not technically based in Boston as we are in Cambridge (just across the river) so just like how the Southbank didn't used to be classed as London in the old days... ;)

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      I know we didn't use a separate company for the insurance, but a full inventory has to be made for the container, for customs etc, so we had that as proof for the insurance company if needed.

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi Pink,

Yes, that's what I'm in the process of doing now - measuring everything and listing everything we own and will take photos of it all as well. That's my weekend sorted! ;)

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update on how it all went in the end.

We went with PSS International (Keith & Vicky) and had Marine Insurance with Letton & Percival (Ian Harrisson). The people I dealt with were both very accommodating.
      They said it would take between 5 and 9 weeks for our shipment and in the end it took 9 weeks for it all to arrive - 1 day before we went back to London again for our friends wedding.
      We were very thorough and went through everything in our apartment and wrote everything down on a spreadsheet (mainly for us to know what we had & what was to be shipped). They guys from PSS then came one morning and packed everything up in three hours.

The company on this end (Contour USA) didn't seem that clued in on the details of our shipment and asked us to pay for having everything delivered to our flat but that was sorted out after I contacted PSS. Contour also gave me several different dates (also different to what PSS gave me) when the shipment would arrive which made me very nervous.
      It turned out that our belongings came in to Philadelphia (not what I was told from the beginning) where another delivery company packs it all in to their van with other people's belongings and drops it all off on the way. They had some issues with a previous customer on the way so there was a delay and 10pm, the day before we flew back, they arrived to drop it all off.
      It was still 35c degrees with a 80% humidity and I was extremely happy that we had paid the extra money to get them to bring it all up to our (top) floor. To say that they were sweaty is an understatement!

We helped out in that Rich ticked off the boxes as they came in and I opened them up to ensure that nothing was damaged. We then unpacked when we returned from England and almost have it all unpacked now (just need to get some book shelves).

There was only a few minor damages to our shipment which I think occurred when lifting things on and off all the different vessels. There was some scraping on one of the photo frames and one (small plastic, screwable) foot on one of our (ikea) drawers was broken - nothing major and nothing that is worth claiming.

All in all, I think it was a good move and I think the advice I would give is that count on it to take longer than expected. They were really cutting it fine with us and I think they really only delivered it on the day that they did because I called the woman from Contour pretty much every day (for two weeks) and left messages with her since she wasn't getting back to me. Also, if you use Contour - be prepared to chase them quite a bit.

Hope you have all had a good summer so far! It is finally starting to cool off a bit here in the evenings and I can't wait until I can start wearing trousers again (and having warm porridge in the mornings) :)

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      It's great to hear back from you! Sorry to hear about all your problems, what a nightmare! Glad it arrived in the end even if it was cutting it fine with your trip back to the UK!

Summer has been busy here, the kids were off for 11 weeks! They have been back for 2.5 weeks but I still haven't had a break as I help out lots at school and it's been insane!!! The weather is still really hot here, in the 90's every day with a heat index into the 100's! 115 being the highest a couple of weeks ago!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12