Am looking for some advice about moving to Brooklyn from the UK. My husband may be accepting a job working in Brooklyn (DUMBO) and we need to some information before we decide whether the move will be worth it.
We're in our late thirties, parents of 2 young children (2 and 6) and currently live in a fairly middle class suburb in the North of England. We live in a modest 3 bedroomed semi in a family friendly neighbourhood with good schools and access to nice countryside. We're not really urban/city people although we do enjoy trips to museums/galleries and enjoy films, restaurants occasionally and grow our own veg!
1. What is a realistic salary that we should expect to need to live in Brooklyn vs. suburbs. We're hoping for something in the region of $90,000 per year - would this be enough to live a good lifestyle with rent of approx $1,500-2,200 per month?
2. Which areas do people recommend that's commutable (1hr max) from DUMBO, Brooklyn which fit best with our current lifestyle in the UK (ie good schools, safe neighbourhoods, family friendly, nice parks, good facilities)
3. Which is the best mode of transport from commuting into the city from the suburbs?
4. Is it correct that we'd need to live in the US for min. 2 years before we can buy a property? Is the buying process similar to the UK?
5. We've looked into US tax and levels seem similar to the UK - are there any hidden costs we may not have considered apart from health insurance which we think will be paid by my husbands employer.
6. In the UK children over the age of 3 are provided with 15 hrs free childcare a week by the Government, is there anything similar in the US or does childcare/kindergarten need to be figured into our costs?
Thanks for any help :)