Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By Pink
    • 1 Post By Haribo Lector
    • 1 Post By Sledieu

Thread: Moving to Chicago from UK after advice / info

Jaime

Wink Moving to Chicago from UK after advice / info

Hello

My name is Jaime and my husband is being transfered from London to Chicago and will be working downtown.
      We are after information on the safest areas to reside as we have a young son of 16 months.
      I have questions about areas, rental prices, family friendly etc if there is anyone living in Chicago or with any helpful info i would love to hear from you.

Thanking you in advance
      Jaime

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi Jaime,

Sorry I can't help with specifics of Chicago. A good place to start is www.city-data.com, they have all the specifics on areas from crime rates to schools.

HTH
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Haribo Lector is on a distinguished road
      I visit Chicago a couple of times a year as a tourist; I have many friends in the city and am hoping to relocate there myself shortly. Evanston is a good neighbourhood, and there are some decent apartments with lake views quite reasonably priced. It's a couple of miles north of downtown, but it's on the CTA brown line, which runs regularly 24-7. Property prices are rock-bottom in Chicago right now, due to a huge price crash about two years ago (although they're starting to creep up again); I've seen downtown apartments for $150,000 that would have cost millions if they'd been in New York or London. In fact, I looked at one in a building on Huron and Wabash (literally two blocks from Michigan Ave) for only $180,000. I was in Chicago last week and saw a big 3 bedroom apartment in a converted town house in Wrigleyville (nice neighbourhood; safe, but it's got a lot of clubs and bars where the party crowd go and it's where Wrigley Stadium is so traffic can be bad on game days) for $1600 a month. Also try the South Loop; it's only a few minutes by CTA to downtown; it's got a lot of nice hotels there - so you know it's a nice area- , plus Grant Park for outside spaces. In theory the South Loop is walkable to the downtown area (by 'down town' I'm referring to the Magnificent Mile area, which is where most of the big commercial buildings are). There are plenty of commuter satellite towns too, like Schaumburg out near O'hare. Schaumburg also has an enormous shopping mall called Woodfield, which is a useful facility to have nearby.
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Sledieu is on a distinguished road
      Hi Jaime, Have you moved to Chicago yet?
      My husband is also being transfered to Chicago next year. I have a 2 year old and an 8 week old so would appreciate any advice you might have on neighbourhoods etc?!

Sophia
      Ktee likes this.

Title
      Real Estate Agent Chicago
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      LaurieChicagoRealtor is on a distinguished road
      I just registered for this forum since my fiance's visa was just conditionally approved... I'm a real estate agent in Chicago and would love to help anyone relocating to the area!