Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Moving to San Francisco - almost. Any advice?

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      MattFrancis is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
      Have you seen how much RV's cost here?! More than a lot of homes LOL

Why not ask if the company will sponsor you for a green card (Make sure you set a time limit for this)? Ask the immigration attorney what category you would come under, if it's EB1 or EB2 you could have your green card within a year THEN your wife could work

I don't want to be a bad influence or anything (well I do actually!), but is the opportunity likely to come up again? Your kids are young and at the perfect ages to adjust and settle easily. Could you not cut back for a bit? The salary you stated isn't out of the ordinary (obviously it depends on what you do) for a decent lifestyle in SF. Once your kids start hitting the teen years it becomes a lot more complicated.

We still have our home back in the UK (currently being rented out) and enough money to get home (just) as a backup plan BUT we are the adventurous type of people even if it means sacrificing some of those luxuries.
      Thanks Pink - I think this is one of those opportunities that is unlikely to come up again. The salary is OK but if we have to pay for schools it eats up all the non-rent income. On the plus side, I would qualify for shares in a year and that could be great for us. But we needed my wife's income in the interim to make it work... But if we don't it might not happen again and that's what worries me

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by MattFrancis View Post
      Thanks Pink - I think this is one of those opportunities that is unlikely to come up again. The salary is OK but if we have to pay for schools it eats up all the non-rent income. On the plus side, I would qualify for shares in a year and that could be great for us. But we needed my wife's income in the interim to make it work... But if we don't it might not happen again and that's what worries me
      Simple just research the good public schools and move to where they are that's what we did. As I think I already said, we certainly don't regret it, despite the sacrifices we have made. We can make up for those later on. We knew this was likely our only chance too, saying that, once here it's amazing the opportunities that come up when you are here, hence my husband getting another job so easily and sponsorship.

Another thing that may put you off, but make sure you look into what they offer for health insurance and make sure you know how it works. That is the usual killer when emigrating to the US.

You must let me know what you decide

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep

Another thing that may put you off, but make sure you look into what they offer for health insurance and make sure you know how it works. That is the usual killer when emigrating to the US.

You must let me know what you decide
      The health insurance is very good - plus the relocation package. But the schools in SFO re a nightmare.

Will do - thanks!

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      What makes you think all the schools in SF are bad? Is that a general statement?

From my experience of moving to Florida, EVERYONE said the schools in Florida are rubbish, that's a bit like saying all the schools in the UK are rubbish LOL. We found that generally they can be BUT there are some excellent public schools if you do the research.

SF is a pretty huge place with lots of commutable areas, there is bound to be somewhere with decent schools.

I know how important schools are with having 3 children, we had the added complication of having to make sure we chose an area with all 3 levels of schools that were good, not easy but we managed it It's also a bit odd as the school system is pretty different here too, I sometimes find it hard to relate too when it's not something I have been through and I am sure the teachers find it odd when I ask them to explain even the most simplest of thing e.g. how the day runs and why it's done that way (they don't get breaks here, which I still find odd!).

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      What makes you think all the schools in SF are bad? Is that a general statement? .
      In the city there are a few good ones which are all oversubscribed - and it operates a lottery system which means your home address has no effect. We could live across the Bay but if I'm pulling everyone that far away it would be nice to live in the city itself...

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Hi again Pink

On the EB1 visa, is it worth coming over on the O1 and then trying to get the company to upgrade it to a an EB1 - or doesn't it work like that?

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, kids announcing last minute projects! You've got to love them ;) That reminds me, they get loads of homework right from Kindergarten, it was a shock to the system for my elder two!

Quote Originally Posted by MattFrancis View Post
      Hi again Pink

On the EB1 visa, is it worth coming over on the O1 and then trying to get the company to upgrade it to a an EB1 - or doesn't it work like that?

Basically that was what I was saying above. EB1 is a category for a green card (permanent residency). It's the norm to have it written into your contract that the company will apply for a green card within a certain amount of time. Most companies expect you to work for them for a certain amount of time before they will start the process, a year is common, sometimes longer. If the category is current, which EB1 usually is, it takes around 6-12months from start to finish. Once you have your green cards your wife will be able to work.

Title
      Currently, California. Moving again in a short while.
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      thisoldworld is on a distinguished road

Re: Moving to San Francisco - almost. Any advice?

Hi--sorry to butt in on this thread, but I'm an American that was born and raised in California (Los Angeles to be exact). I've also lived in SF, and had relatives and friends who taught in area schools. With three children that young, and with your concerns about private school fees, I would honestly suggest that you live outside the city and commute to work. It's much less expensive to live in a nice suburb, which will also have a better public school district, more kids for your children to play with, more space for your family, more bang for your buck etc etc. The bay area has excellent public transport into and out of SF as well, which is rare in the west. Even the really nice suburbs have lower costs of living than SF, which is, frankly, and exorbitant place to live.

Good luck with everything, and if you have any questions please ask (:
      Pink likes this.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by thisoldworld View Post
      Hi--sorry to butt in on this thread, but I'm an American that was born and raised in California (Los Angeles to be exact). I've also lived in SF, and had relatives and friends who taught in area schools. With three children that young, and with your concerns about private school fees, I would honestly suggest that you live outside the city and commute to work. It's much less expensive to live in a nice suburb, which will also have a better public school district, more kids for your children to play with, more space for your family, more bang for your buck etc etc. The bay area has excellent public transport into and out of SF as well, which is rare in the west. Even the really nice suburbs have lower costs of living than SF, which is, frankly, and exorbitant place to live.

Good luck with everything, and if you have any questions please ask (:
      Thanks, I totally agree with you :)

ericsdad
      Hi Matt, I literally just joined this forum but wanted to back up what "thisoldworld" suggested...if it's still applicable. I grew up in Mtn View (about an hour south of SF in Silicon Valley) and while you don't need to necessarily venture that far south...although you could take the train to work easily...there is the South Bay and even East Bay areas. Closer to SF would be Redwood City, Foster City, etc. and even north of the City but..you'd then be contending with bridges (GG or East Bay) so I'd consider looking into more "suburban" neighborhoods rather than living in the City itself which would eat into a lot of your earnings.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

Scott

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12