Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      c1arkie is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Moving from UK to USA

I am a UK citizen wishing to make the switch to the US. My wife is a Legal US Resident and so we have submitted the petition to for my residency, but the queues are horrendous and they are still dealing with petitions from 2006! However, if she goes for her US citizenship, which she is eligible to apply for, then that could speed things up.

I would prefer to secure employment in the US. I have a business background in banking and management consulting with seven years experience in a major UK bank and major global consulting firm - recently laid off though. Bachelors in Business, and Post Graduate Diploma in Business too.

Are there visas that exists that would enable me to do a "tour of duty" for example. Enable me to spend some time in the US to perhaps search for work? My in-laws are on the East Coast, plus I have cousins in Georgia and Arizona... so accomodation is fine.

Interested in anyone who knows about student visas? I have considered training in the US to become a teacher of business or IT.

Just floating around some options ... open to tips/advice

THANKS

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      3 times
      Rep
      Septicbrit is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by c1arkie View Post
      I am a UK citizen wishing to make the switch to the US. My wife is a Legal US Resident and so we have submitted the petition to for my residency, but the queues are horrendous and they are still dealing with petitions from 2006! However, if she goes for her US citizenship, which she is eligible to apply for, then that could speed things up.

I would prefer to secure employment in the US. I have a business background in banking and management consulting with seven years experience in a major UK bank and major global consulting firm - recently laid off though. Bachelors in Business, and Post Graduate Diploma in Business too.

Are there visas that exists that would enable me to do a "tour of duty" for example. Enable me to spend some time in the US to perhaps search for work? My in-laws are on the East Coast, plus I have cousins in Georgia and Arizona... so accomodation is fine.

Interested in anyone who knows about student visas? I have considered training in the US to become a teacher of business or IT.

Just floating around some options ... open to tips/advice

THANKS
      If she's already eligible for citizenship, then that's the way to go. Naturalization is getting quicker and quicker -- in many places it's now taking less than 6 months, which is quick by USCIS standards! I presume your wife has already filed the I-130, and she can upgrade it the second she leaves the naturalization oath ceremony. From there you'll be another 6 months or even less to getting your immigrant visa.

If you've got the cash, you can start training to be a teacher now on an F1 visa. It'll probably cost you at least 3x what it would cost a local. But it's a way of moving here early and getting ready for the job market. In such a case, you could simply just adjust status when your wife naturalized.