Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Jack2691 is on a distinguished road

Moving to USA from UK

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of questions below if anybody could help?

I am still at university and have been offered a job in the USA; I can live anywhere on the west coast as long as I am within travelling distance of a major airport (any airport I can get to the majority of places in the US). Any suggestions that are reasonable priced, and preferably warm?

I want to bring my girlfriend with me but not sure how we could do this? Is there any visa types that we could apply for so that she would be able to work? Or do will we need to get married?

Also does anybody know what sort of salary I would require for us both to live of? The figures that have been discussed are in the region of $50,000 - $60,000.

Any information would be amazing?

Thanks,

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi,

Firstly what visa will the company be getting for you? If it's an H1B (work visa) then you will need a degree and the earliest you will be able to start is Oct 2013 (this years quota is already full). Your girlfriend (as long as you have been living together for 3+yrs) could apply for a B2 co-habiting visa, however she won't be able to work. Even if you do get married, depending on your visa, it's unlikely she will be able to work.

Where to live, well where have you visited and liked?! The west coast is a huge area so it's hard to say. I also live on the east coast so only really know the big cities.

As for the salary, what is the job?

HTH and good luck!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      suthscomcastnet is on a distinguished road
      Hello and congratulations on being offered a job! I'm here in Redmond Washington (2 hours south of the Canadian border). I'm biased but having lived in California and here, here wins. The cost of living is less but is still expensive in comparison to California but the people are far friendlier. The salary is alright but you won't be living the high life and for 2, where one won't be able to work might be a stretch. Having said that, it's doable. It's going to be far easier for you if the girlfriend becomes the wife since then she'll be able to work in a reasonable amount of time. I'd check the details out with a professional who has up to the minute information though. There are loads of Brits here due to Microsoft and Boeing so you won't be lonely! BA runs a twice daily service to Heathrow so links back are easy. Best of luck to you in your upcoming adventure.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Pink,

Its a H1B visa a think, the date of Oct 2013 should be okay as I don't finish university until June 2013 and then graduate in Nov 2013. That would also give us more time to save together and even get married if the time feels right.

We have only visited Florida and both loved it! But the job requires me to be on the west coast. We are both young and don't have the money to go off travelling to find the perfect spot.

Do you know of any good websites that I would be able to use to calculate how much money I would take home a month (after tax etc)? As it seems a little clouded on the information available. I am not sure what stoppages I would have on my salary as I know there are separate things to pay such as medical expenses etc.

As for the job, I currently work for an IT company who's head office is here in the UK but have a sister company that has only just started up in the US. I am moving over there to help the growth, train staff, then become an implementer for the software they sell.

Thanks

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi Suthscomcastnet,

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't looked into Washington state, what's the weather like?

We are looking into the possibility of Phoenix too as we have been told this is a cheaper city. Do you know if that is true?

That sounds good about the flights, makes it easier for family to come and visit.

We are hopeful that my girlfriend will be able to find a sponsor once out there as she is a fully qualified nutritionist, but obviously we will have to live from one salary for the time being.

Thanks,

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      suthscomcastnet is on a distinguished road
      The weather is best described as like the south of England. Very mild winters and summers usually get a week of rather hot weather, which everybody moans about. It's a very green place, both literally and figuratively. Seattle has the feel of a large town that's pretending to be a big city. London it is not. Phoenix is less expensive but then it is in the middle of a desert! Actually the housing situation is rather dire down there with lots of foreclosures so you'd be able to pick up something cheap. As for getting a sponsor for the girlfriend...that might prove very difficult. Sponsorship is a huge responsibility for an individual to take on and unless it's a critical skill a company won't want to take it on either. Good Luck.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      I hope the quota isn't used up for H1B's before you graduate :o It was filled by the beginning of June for the current year! I am not sure if they will be able to apply before you graduate, probably not as you won't meet the criteria (assuming you and the company meet all the other criteria). If you do get a H1B and your girlfriend became your wife she would get an H4 visa, you cannot work on this visa. A nutritionist isn't likely to qualify for a work visa.

I must admit if I was to move to the west coast I would probably head towards the north, Washington State maybe as suthscomcastnet said :) The dry hot air puts me off the south, not the heat however ;)