Welcome to British Expats Abroad
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Pink

Thread: New to US

Alimi

New to US

Hi,
      This is my first posting. Moving to US in two months and am trying to understand the insurance nightmare. Does anybody know who the best companies are for car insurance and house insurance?

Alimi.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      502 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Welcome Alimi, sorry I cant help with your question though!

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi Alimi,

What visa are you coming on? You may be able to register with an expat company such as AIG who can get insurance etc as if you were a USC with excellent credit history, we used them and I would highly recommend them :)
      Ktee likes this.

Alimi
      Thank you for your reply, we are on an L1 visa. Alimi

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Insurance companies like L1 visas, they see it as some sort of security as it's a dual intent visa so you shouldn't have a problem getting it. :)

Alimi
      Thanks for this, any suggestions on which utility companies to go with?

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      You go with whoever covers your area, it is like the UK used to be...for most things not just utilities ;) Your landlord should give you the details of who to call.

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      njmackem is on a distinguished road
      One of the questions nobody has asked yet is what state you are moving to, and I did not catch it in your initial post. A lot of companies offering insurance do so on a state by state basis. Insurance in the US is slightly different than in the UK for both home and auto insurance so be sure to make sure you shop wisely.

If I were to be honest I would probably for your first year look to go to someone with a local presence like State Farm, they have local brokers responsible not only for your sale but for your ongoing service and so they are more likely to offer a tailored service (although it might be a little higher than some others).

The biggest difference for UK residents is that some companies (such as Geico) utilise credit scoring for car insurance, try to avoid this as much as possible. Make sure when you leave you get a copy of your no claims certificate from your UK insurer as it will be a lot more tricky to get hold of once you get over to the USA.

Good luck with the move and feel free to inbox me if you have any other questions.