Welcome to British Expats Abroad
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      gr8bigsmile

Newbie - looking into a possible move with employer to Florida

Firstly, huge apologies if this has been answered to death somewhere on another forum - please move this post if it needs to be placed elsewhere!

My husband, children and I visited Florida in August this year and enjoyed a fantastic holiday and are due to return next year. My husband works for a global insurance firm with an office in Clearwater so he took the opportunity to visit his colleagues whilst on holiday.
      The meeting was very successful and as a result, there may be an opportunity for us to relocate to Florida with a company transfer.
      I have many questions, but here are just a few which I would love help on:

I have two daughters 11 and 16 yr - will my 16 yr old be able to continue her education and work under my husbands visa?
      I am a Teaching Assistant currently training to be a Teacher - would I be able to gain employment if I qualify prior to transfer?
      Location - my husbands firm is in Clearwater, what areas would you recommend with good education, friendly neighbourhoods and low crime rates within a 60 - 90 minute commute?
      How difficult is it to gain a green card baring in mind my husband works as a principal in the medical insurance sector and has a very good employer?
      Long term - how does living in the states affect pensions etc?
      Buying versus renting - looking at property prices in Orlando/Tampa, we would be able to afford a relatively modest house without a mortgage, is this wise given the current housing climate or should we rent?
      Climate - we visited at the hottest time of year and yes, it was hot and humid but it didn't affect the holiday - how many months are generally hot, humid and stormy?
      Lastly, my husband has offices all over the world but we love Canada and USA - so, if not Florida, where else would you recommend looking into - we are up for an adventure and hard work!!

Lots of questions - thank you to anyone who spares some time to answer 1, some or all of them!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      891 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Welcome to the forum, what a wonderful opportunity are you all excited?

gr8bigsmile

Wink

HiYes, it is exciting - although a bit scary also! I have so many questions and whilst I want to just 'go for it' some of the negative accounts I have read worry me slightly. I want to try something new and experience a new life abroad - but it does play with my head! I'm hoping members will be able to give me some facts and honest opinion xThank you! X

Title
      Liked
      502 times
      Rep
      guest3160 is on a distinguished road
      Sounds fab...I dont know anything about the US Im afraid but I hope someone can help.....

Welcome to the forum btw!

Title
      Liked
      453 times
      Rep
      yummybrummy is on a distinguished road
      Hearty welcome to the Forum. It does sound a brilliant opportunity. You mention about the possibility of moving elsewhere......... Now if you considered Australia there's plenty of peeps on here that can supply you with comprehensive information - just a thought. Best of luck with your decision
      Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucious

gr8bigsmile
      Quote Originally Posted by yummybrummy View Post
      Hearty welcome to the Forum. It does sound a brilliant opportunity. You mention about the possibility of moving elsewhere......... Now if you considered Australia there's plenty of peeps on here that can supply you with comprehensive information - just a thought. Best of luck with your decision
      Hello! Thank you for your lovely welcome. I think the real possibility is in the States, but as the firm is global - a few calls may uncover other avenues to explore. The distance to Oz is a bit of a concern as both my husband and I are worried about our parents - 9 hours seems better than 24 hours! I notice you are in Dubai! I spent my latter childhood in Qatar....I guess the expat bug never really goes away!Thanks x

Title
      Liked
      453 times
      Rep
      You're more than welcome

I understand with the distance factor - is so much easier to return to UK from US than from Oz. Big decisions for you which all have to be taken into account. Decisions, decisions which all evolve into one huge headache . Am sure you'll be able to acquire your answers soon enough with some research but we shall try and help as much as possible, from hearsay etc.

So how did you feel about Qatar and how long did you spend there and when did you leave? Always good to chat to another ME expat albeit an ex expat

YB x

gr8bigsmile
      Yes, couldn't agree more about the headache...all I know is I am itching to try something new! I was in Doha from 1986 - 1990 and did my GCSE's at Doha College. I loved it and if I had the oppertunity (no base there...or anywhere else in ME) I would return x Thanks again, lovely to chat with you! X

Title
      Liked
      453 times
      Rep
      Lovely to chat with you too gr8bigsmile .

Not yet ventured to Qatar even though only a short hop across on the plane - have promised myself to visit there whilst I'm so near. Even though you loved it there am guessing that your hubby has no work contacts out there? x

gr8bigsmile

Wink

And you! X sadly, my husbands company don't operate in the ME, although rumours of a Dubai office circulate now and again! You must vist Qatar, it has changed so much over the years but it remains a very special place.Thanks for the lovely chat xx

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast