Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Scott Dean is on a distinguished road

Opening a new business or plan migrating to Florida...

Hey Guys,

This is my first post of hopefully many on the forum, so I thought I'd open with a corker...

My partner and myself have a fantasy of living in Fort Lauderdale, her parents own a condo on the intercostal so we know the area very well and try to visit frequently although her parents do not live their full time. To cut the story short and to give you the rundown on who we are, I'm fast approaching 35 and my better half being 30 in a few weeks we have family living in the U.S. My half brother (on my fathers side has lived under assylum since his early years, through his mothers visa who now has full citizenship, however my brothers perminent visa has lapse its renewal date and he is now worried he will be returned back to the UK for not having this corrected within the last few years. He is now 38 years old) I also have an elderly grandfather with full citizenship living in Canada (if that helps), my partner has U.S. born distant cousins and aunts.

We have both researched a little and have found out that it's almost impossible to relocate using our family as there is a so called 7 year waiting list to have any visas or green cards granted using family connections.

We have approximately 35k to 40k invested in our home which we would use to set up in Florida. I'm currently studying to become a personal fitness trainer and hopefully at a later date further into sports massage or physical therapy via a degree. My partner works for a large private U.S. hospital as a Pratice Manager (unfortunately I'm unable to remember their name).

We'd love to open our business the type has yet to be decided, but I've a few lingering ideas. Otherwise just having the opportunity to work for someone would be just as pleasing. We have both agreed that we would be prepared to pay our own sponsorship fees if it were to sway any future employers.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
      Ta Scott

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      FedUpBrit is on a distinguished road
      Moving to another country would be a huge undertaking not to be taken lightly, then on top of that to look to open a business when you dont know what type of business yet you want to open looks a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Tiffeyman is on a distinguished road
      I would recheck the 'visa by family' wait time again. I am going through it with my brother and it has slipped to 13 years due to Obama's idea of processing the illegal immigrants already here. I have answered a similar post in another forum. Upshot is, a US employer has to have a compelling reason to hire you over a US worker and be prepared to take on the legal ramifications of sponsoring you. The immigration path to the US should not be taken lightly, it is a life's commitment, and is full of stress, heartache and expense.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I dont see USA as an option any more to be honest, it is too difficult and the stress is too much. We have decided to start looking at Portugal, Spain or Croatia. We will intend to visit a few places in each to get a feel of what will suit us best. We need to move in the next 4 years before our eldest gets a boyfriend etc and doesnt want to leave. It wouldnt be an option if I didnt have my whole family with me.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Gunnar is on a distinguished road
      Hi,
      I am a little confused by your post. You said you wanted to open a business but don't know which one yet? I think this is the kind of stuff you should for sure figure out before you relocated to a different country. I relocated to Cyprus around 8 years ago to open my business and it was not as easy as it seems. If I hadn't had some very professional help from here https://cyprus-company-service.com/ I am still not sure I would have made it. You really should get some professional opinions in before moving. Opening a business is fun, but it really isn't as easy as everyone seems to think. Taxes alone have cost me a grey hair or two before I got help :)

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
      Hi,
      I am a little confused by your post. You said you wanted to open a business but don't know which one yet? I think this is the kind of stuff you should for sure figure out before you relocated to a different country. I relocated to Cyprus around 8 years ago to open my business and it was not as easy as it seems. If I hadn't had some very professional help from here https://cyprus-company-service.com/ I am still not sure I would have made it. You really should get some professional opinions in before moving. Opening a business is fun, but it really isn't as easy as everyone seems to think. Taxes alone have cost me a grey hair or two before I got help :)
      Looks like you are just spamming the cyprus company here rather than a legit response. BTW Opening a business is not fun at all and anyone who has run a business in a professional manner would tell you the same. Regardless how successful your business is it will never be fun, it will be challenging, stressful draining. I have a sucessful business with a 3M turnover and 1M profit but its never been fun, its been rewarding but not without taking over my families life and requiring lots of sacrifice.