Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      DamMac is on a distinguished road

Possibility Of Moving To The USA In The Future?

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd ask you about my possibilities of emigrating to the USA, at some point in the future. I'm a 24 year old female, currently working in Marketing. I'm a British citizen, and don't have any family in the USA, nor do I have any money to invest into the country.

I have a degree in New Media (BA Hons) 2:1 classification (65%), from the University of Leeds, and have a masters degree in Marketing Management (MSc) from the University of Sheffield (Pass with Merit - 67%). I've spent four years studying at two very good universities, both in the russell group. Though I realise they might not be recognised in the USA.

After graduating, I wanted to go into the Marketing industry. I spent a year working at a marketing company, before heading to Australia on a 'Working Holiday Visa' with two marketing companies (6 months each, as that's all the visa allowed), and a further year at a company here in the UK... so two years work experience, soon to be going into my third year.

I'm assuming my next step is to try go into 'Marketing' a large international company, and transfer in the future? Rather than working in smaller companies? I assume there isn't much point in applying to USA jobs online? I don't really know how it all works.

I know it might be a long way off yet (hopefully not too long), but if there is a slight chance, I know I'll work much harder to get there.

I'm just wondering if it's looking likely that I can emigrate to the USA in the future?

Apologies if you get these questions a lot.

Thanks for all your advice.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      njmackem is on a distinguished road
      As much as I would love to tell you that you should have no problem getting a job here in the USA I just feel I have to be honest with you.

You have the option of looking online for American companies who could be prepared to offer relocation and sponsorship, however it would be tough to find one of those. Your best bet would be to work for a large multi-national in the UK and then move try to do the transfer with them. The only down sides there are that there are no guarantees and it could be a few years before you get to transfer.

You could always just apply for the visa to work in the USA directly, now it will take a while (my sister is 18 months in already) but it would allow you to save and gain work experience while you are there. Who knows, you might get a swift response.

As a recruiter, if you would like I can keep my eyes open for opportunities for you.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by njmackem View Post
      As much as I would love to tell you that you should have no problem getting a job here in the USA I just feel I have to be honest with you.

You have the option of looking online for American companies who could be prepared to offer relocation and sponsorship, however it would be tough to find one of those. Your best bet would be to work for a large multi-national in the UK and then move try to do the transfer with them. The only down sides there are that there are no guarantees and it could be a few years before you get to transfer.

You could always just apply for the visa to work in the USA directly, now it will take a while (my sister is 18 months in already) but it would allow you to save and gain work experience while you are there. Who knows, you might get a swift response.

As a recruiter, if you would like I can keep my eyes open for opportunities for you.
      Which visa would that be?!? As far as I am aware there is no such visa!?

To the OP, from what you have said your best bet would be as you said to work for a company that has offices in both the UK and the US and work your way up to a position with a possibility to transfer. Also network like mad!!! LinkedIn is a good one, join all the appropriate groups for the US as well as UK..... working in marketing you should be good at selling yourself iyswim ;)

Good luck!