Thread: Re: Moving to oregon

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Bluebell8782 is on a distinguished road

Re: Moving to oregon

Hello there,

I wondered if anyone could help? My husband and I are from the UK and are in the very early stages of thinking about moving to Oregon. My sister lives there and is married to an American.

HELP! Where do we even begin?? My husband is a builder but also does anything from painting & decorating to laying patios. I work in a normal office so have no special qualifications.. Are we in a better position as I have family in America - do we have different sorts of forms to fill in because of this? Can my sister sponsor me?

If someone could possible give us a few pointers it would be appreciated - it is very confusing!

Ta!

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      210 times
      Rep
      tonyman is on a distinguished road
      Hello Bluebell , hopefully Ziggy, pink
      or Sid will be able to help as they have US knowledge .........they will be here soon................good luck to you .......
      Ziggy likes this.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
      Hello Bluebell , hopefully Ziggy, pink
      or Sid will be able to help as they have US knowledge .........they will be here soon................good luck to you .......

Ok - thank you!

Title
      Liked
      114 times
      Rep
      Ziggy is on a distinguished road
      I am sure Pink can help .... I have only ever visited the US as a tourist ( more is the pity )

welcome to the forum & good luck
      "I'm an instand star, just add water and stir" ..... David Bowie

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Hi and welcome :)

I am afraid to say your husbands work wouldn't get him a work visa. Is your sister a US citizen? If so she could sponsor you but currently the wait time for that visa category is over 12 yrs. There is also 'talk' of a revamp of the family categories and the possibility of scrapping some, so if you do want to go for it do it asap! You will find info on it here, you would come under the F4 visa category.

Hope that helps.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
      Hi and welcome :)

I am afraid to say your husbands work wouldn't get him a work visa. Is your sister a US citizen? If so she could sponsor you but currently the wait time for that visa category is over 12 yrs. There is also 'talk' of a revamp of the family categories and the possibility of scrapping some, so if you do want to go for it do it asap! You will find info on it here, you would come under the F4 visa category.

Hope that helps.
      Thank-you Ziggy and Pink :)

Wow - that is disheartening. Yes, she is a US citizen which I'd hoped would have helped! Actually, my parents are hoping to move over once my mother has retired and my brother is hoping to locate to San Diego (he currently lives in Spain).

Thank you for the info - will speak to my sister later and will more than likely pop back for more advice!

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell8782 View Post
      Thank-you Ziggy and Pink :)

Wow - that is disheartening. Yes, she is a US citizen which I'd hoped would have helped! Actually, my parents are hoping to move over once my mother has retired and my brother is hoping to locate to San Diego (he currently lives in Spain).

Thank you for the info - will speak to my sister later and will more than likely pop back for more advice!
      It isn't the best of news, but it's better news that what 99% of people get If she wasn't a USC she wouldn't be able to sponsor you at all. If you look here at the visa bulletin, go down to the F4 category is shows you the 'priority date'. Assuming you were born in the UK (it's based on where you were born), the priority date is currently 22JUL01, this basically means they are currently processing applications which were submitted before that date. Those born in the Philippines have a 23yr wait!!!!

As for your parents, your sister can sponsor them, there is no wait other than submitting the paperwork, medicals etc. They should however think very carefully as the healthcare system in the US is awful. Currently if over 60 they would be lucky to get any health insurance, new 'laws' coming in next year are making it compulsory for insurance companies to offer cover for everyone BUT this means the monthly costs will be high, without pre-existing conditions they can expect to probably pay $1000 a month each, plus co-pays etc. Going without insurance is literally a killer, for example a friend's daughter broke her arm, basic break, nothing fancy, the medical bills came to $14000! Their deductible was $14500 so they had to pay the lot themselves! A friend's 64yr old mother was admitted to hospital, 2 days in ICU cost over $200K!! It's all about how much money they can make!

Feel free to ask any more questions, I am happy to help :)