Welcome to British Expats Abroad
      Fee Mack

Relocation Advice and Help

I am a 36 year old yorkshire lass looking to relocate to the US to be with my partner of 2 years. Although we could go through the route of fiance visa's I would like to spend a bit more time with him living together before we commit to anything (call me old fashioned but I believe a marriage isn't just for a work visa) Although I don't have a formal degree I have several other qualifications and many years experience working in the field of medical science and method development. I do have some capital behind me from the sale of property and I'm prepared to take any job I can get so I can work and live closer to him. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      897 times
      Rep
      Ktee is on a distinguished road
      Hi Fee welcome to the forum, there are a few members from America so hopefully someone will be along soon.
      I agree with you though, I would never marry for a visa, there is no romance in it for a start

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      britsinoc is on a distinguished road
      Quote Originally Posted by Fee Mack View Post
      I am a 36 year old yorkshire lass looking to relocate to the US to be with my partner of 2 years. Although we could go through the route of fiance visa's I would like to spend a bit more time with him living together before we commit to anything (call me old fashioned but I believe a marriage isn't just for a work visa) Although I don't have a formal degree I have several other qualifications and many years experience working in the field of medical science and method development. I do have some capital behind me from the sale of property and I'm prepared to take any job I can get so I can work and live closer to him. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately based on what you are saying the fiance visa is actually the best, almost only, way for you to get into the USA and work and be close to your man.
      After 2 years of being with the guy, I dont think anyone would judge you for it being anything other than for love.......so you should have no issues with USCIS.
      Good luck either way.

Title
      Liked
      209 times
      Rep
      Pink is on a distinguished road
      Other than the Fiance or spouse visa your options are very limited and slim. The only options would be to look for a job and hope they will sponsor you for a work visa, although the earliest start would be Oct 2013. Or 'buy a visa' if you have a spare $500K.

I agree with the PP that the fiance or spouse visa is likely your only guaranteed route.

Good luck :)