Welcome to British Expats Abroad

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      MattyN is on a distinguished road

Retiring Early - Where to???

Evening All

I have brought forward my retirement plans as I am so disillusioned with the state of my home country post the debacle that is Brexit. My original plan was to move to the Cotswolds somewhere but recently me and my wife are thinking further afield.

A bit about us to start with. We are fortunate enough to be able to retire early after a couple of health scares each. Our children are: Son 1 aged 19 (just about to start Year 2 at Uni who then wants to work abroad, and the USA is prime for him), Son 2 aged 15 (who is about to start Year 11 and is undecided from there on), and Daughter who is aged 9 (who has two years before starting "big" school). Our timings will be based on the youngest and want to try to coincide any move with her changing schools.

So where do we go? We all love the beach and have lived near all our lives. That led to our initial thoughts leaning toward Florida - but property does not seem to have a lot of land, and as odd as it may seem, I quite like winters, especially snow at Christmas.

So we looked elsewhere - and found New York - specifically Hamptons area. These seem to have more land, but are the beaches there suitable for swimming etc? I assume we would get a full range of seasons there - which we would like.

So we looked toward the other side - California - and have seen a few places that possibly fit the bill - but initial impression - visually from the map - is the community is too widespread. I want privacy but not to be too remote. Santa Barbara looks great - property adjacent to the beach, property with plenty of space.

I then found Lake Tahoe - and some images online are breathtaking. The mix of seasons almost on the doorstep is a big attraction - the types of property are awesome, plenty of space, and lake front instead of beach front is appealing as I can buy a boat and bimble across the lake - friends and family will love it. Minutes from skiing, sunbathing and the views are also big plusses.

So I went a step further and looked at Colorado. There is a place in Aspen I have already taken the first steps and spoken to the real estate agent about - and planning a trip out in October to start the viewing process.

Are there any other suggested lake front areas worthy of investigation?

Apart from the property, I want:
      Top notch school for my Daughter
      Top notch college for Son 2
      Reasonable connection to the rest of the world!!
      Avoidance of anywhere too touristy
      Golf
      Somewhere for a boat/yacht
      Skiing on the doorstep would be a bonus, not a necessity
      Community
      Good nightlife for kids as they grow up, and us parents as we grow old! Restaurants etc need to be within easy reach, though I am sure the areas above cater quite well!!

Overall, I am looking for somewhere where I will eventually end my days. Somewhere where the family will descend at Christmas/Thanksgiving. Somewhere with a variety of seasons - if I can almost guarantee snow at Christmas, it will go to the top of the list.

So what am I asking for?

Thoughts on suggestions above? Florida, California, Tahoe, Colorado?

Other suggestions?

My property search is with Zillow currently - but are there others?

Thank you so much, in advance

Matt

2. Moneycorp - Commercial foreign exchange since 1979

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Dave2726 is on a distinguished road
      Hi Matt. The first thing you would need to consider is visa eligibility. There are no retirement visas for the US.

Visa Waiver Programme:

What you could do is use the Visa Waiver Programme (ESTA) and visit the US for up to 90 days at a time. You would then, ideally, spend 90 days or more outside of the US following each visit. This is because you cannot misuse your status as a visitor to have back to back visits by just exiting and then coming straight back in again. Rule of thumb is you should spend at least as much time out again as you spend in before coming back and you should always be able to demonstrate strong ties to your home country.

Visas:

Unless you have US family or a heck of a lot of money (to invest in buying or starting a US company and employ Americans) then your options are extremely limited. The US is one of the most difficult countries to move to in the world and has arguably the most stringent immigration rules. I would strongly suggest having a look at the following website to see if you might be eligible for any visas before making a further plans. Hope this helps and sorry if it's not the answer you were hoping for:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Thanks Dave

My initial musings point toward the investment - EB-5 I think it is, and am investigating this route. I have had conflicting info that my idea in property/recreational/tourism is an acceptable investment, so am waiting out on that.

So - thoughts on locations anyone? The more I look the more I (and more importantly the Mrs) likes Colorado. Florida is pretty much out, mainly due to my preconceptions regarding the amount of tourists, although I do realise the state is not all Orlando! I am making a big assumption Colorado gets the tourists, but as it is less condensed, it will be far more tolerable, and Aspen for instance will not be seasonal.

What is Long Island like? East Hampton, Sag Harbour all look lovely. Lake Tahoe also. Thoughts from anyone living there would be appreciated.

One other big assumption I am making is it takes a massive snow storm to affect travel too much - where I am in UK, even the slightest sprinkle sends the county into a flat spin, and virtually seizes up! I (read Mrs!!) need assurance that when winter comes, we can get about albeit in the SUV.

Matt
      Last edited by MattyN; 15-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Yep EB-5 would be a valid investor route. Best of luck with that.

I can't speak for the other places but I've spent a day or two in Aspen and it is lovely. I can't profess to be knowledgeable about the routes in and out but we drove across the independence pass which I believe is closed in bad weather / some of the winter. It is spectacular as a drive though and frequently ventures up to 12000ft!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Oh my days.... Just googled that... Wow!!-

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Check out the Pikes peak annual race!

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      britinspain is on a distinguished road
      I think you need to spend some time travelling around the locations you mention to see if that areas for you and more importantly your kids.

Then look more into investor visa program, I was looking at this myself but it involves serious money and a really possibility of not seeing it again.

The areas you mention are very different I've been to some and prefer northern Florida particularly lake county, each state is different and the people also vary depending on where in the state you are due to the size of each state.

I probably wont move to the US because I have too much going on here in Spain and need to be here for a large portion of the year but may buy an house to spend a few months at a time.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      katzgar is on a distinguished road
      most of your locations make a yacht difficult. your misconceptions on Florida really should be held till you know about the place. Florida is big on boating but skiing would only be the water type. Look at Seattle area for both boating and down hill skiing, excellent schools and lots of tech.